3rd gen 4runner 96-02

ToyTaco

I'm looking for a 3rd gen 4runner, colour not a real concern. More concerned with the frame ( no rot, I've looked at 11 local trucks all no good). If you have or know someone who has a clean runner shoot me a pm. May something from out west or USA?? Thanks guys.

junkpile

11 rotten frames? That's some bad bunch! Curious if you've looked at that low mileage beige one from the US on kijiji? $3500 I think. V6 SR5 auto w/leather 98,000miles.... Clean yes/no?

ToyTaco

Ya 11 trucks too far gone for my liking. 5 trucks had visual holes 3 were really weak(I could squeeze the frame beside the gas tank) 3 were so heavily corroded they needed to be blasted and coated. I'm not into anymore frame work.. my 85 was a labor of love. I did contact that guy he said it was pending sale and took my contact info. I have just re contacted him waiting on a reply. I've collected a lot of goodies for a expedition dd family hauler so I'm being kinda picky. If anyone is heading down south this winter let me know.

junkpile

I don't blame you for being picky, so much nicer putting time/money into something you know is gonna last. My brother found one from Windsor with a very clean frame and body, makes me jealous.

ToyTaco

I've been collecting all of the parts for a sas with 80 series e locked axles I picked up after the set I got from you was missing way too many pieces.

junkpile

Yeah I told you all those little pieces add up $$$ quickly! Glad you found a good set of e-locked axles. Do you plan to use the factory FZJ control arms? Or custom links?

Last edited:

ToyTaco

Ya, I'm going to use the radius arms and adjustable coil buckets up front and Chevy 63s in the rear. Using the KISS method

trixter192

Club Member
Have you looked into the frame recall from those years? Toyota just extended the recall the to vehicles up to 2010. Luckily, FJ Cruisers are assembled in Japan, so there's no chance for a Dana frame for me.

What is your budget? For all the time you spent, perhaps it's worth getting a brand new frame P/N 51002-3G071 or 51002-3G101.

Finally, there are laser cut precision fit frame patches that can make the final result look as good as factory. http://www.autorust.com/product-category/toyota-tacoma/

Last edited:

toytech

Club Member
The recall never included the 4Runners. It was on Taco, Tundra and Sequoia.
We just pulled an FJ apart to send the frame back to Japan. So don't rule out the possibility of a frame Trixter192:p

ToyTaco

I've had 2 trucks bought back by Toyota. So I'm inspecting the frames really well. As far as price goes, obviously cheaper is better. Thanks for the rust repair link I'll book make that one.