4Runner Body Swap

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
My turn to play. Does this count as a 'Project'?

Swapping out my old crust Runner body with a not so crusty from a '93. All should match up pretty well, with maybe some electrical differences. All lines along the frame are being replaced while we're at it, and she gets a new to her gas tank.

The poor ole girl...

Out with the old...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Make sure you oil the shit out of this one or Crown it. I'd even try one of those elec. rust prohibitors. I think Chris is having sucess with it. Glad you sorted out the fuel problem!!

:beer:

Have already decided to Crown/oil twice yearly. That'll fix it. And I am getting the elctronic box as well. Jamie has one on the Rubi and it seems to work.

D

DoctorPhate

Why not herculine the bottom of the whole body? Wouldnt that make sense? Just mask off the areas that it needs to connect to something else. That matched up with some POR15 on the frame and i dont foresee you ever dealing with rust again.

J

Joust

Those electric rust inhibitors are a scam.

Nice looking body you have there....why not just use the new truck? is its frame done?
I'd start by taking off those chrome things around the fenders.

Last edited:

trukie

Zooklounge Crawler
Club Member
Looking fine Terry. With the body off now would be an easy time for a SAS:stir:. New Runner body looks worlds better than the old.

And my $0.02 on eletronic rust inhibitors, they just plain work. A fiend of mine had one on her saturn for the 11 years she owned it and not a spot of rust on the body - even the rockers under the covers (I checked). The car was never crowned and was driven every winter. Tranny finally died at about a 1/4 million km.

Cheers Jamie:beer:

Last edited:

trukie

Zooklounge Crawler
Club Member
OK, my vote from Steve's thread.

SAS and 36" tires, and maybe a shorty bed conversion (I think they look Pimp :smokin:).

Mild build the Sami for Stacy:stir:.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Nice looking body you have there....why not just use the new truck? is its frame done?
I'd start by taking off those chrome things around the fenders.

The frame is not mine, it goes back to the seller.

The chrome will be coming off, 4 spots on the body fixed, rear quraters sectioned to make clearance for a bumper.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
After a few hours of searching I think this will be the progression plan.

1. Finish body swap and do minor body repairs
2. Order and install InchWorm V6 trans to 4 Cyl case adapter, 4.7:1 4 banger case
3. Leave 33's on for now
4. Hoard parts for SAS, buy TG 4" kit
5. Bring lots of Corona to the ZL, get Scott good n drunk
6. Drop hints about doing a SAS
7. Have Scott give in and do said SAS
8. Order and install 36" Irocs

:)

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Yup, Sounds good to me :)

Another addition:

wait till end of year to SAS and buy Adrian's All-Pro 4" front SAS :flipoff:

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Another addition:

wait till end of year to SAS and buy Adrian's All-Pro 4" front SAS :flipoff:

Hmmmm, tempting. I was looking for SAS around mid year... What's a couple more months? What's end of year on your calendar?

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
When the truck breaks to the point I don't feel like fixing it anymore LOL

Seriously, I am going to go to 60's, coil overs and links in the front this winter, last run is usually in october, so anytime after that...

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Well, let's see how much of this IFS crap I tear apart this year and go from there.

When the truck breaks to the point I don't feel like fixing it anymore LOL

Seriously, I am going to go to 60's, coil overs and links in the front this winter, last run is usually in october, so anytime after that...

S

Steve B

It should take you 1 weekend to take off the IFS crap and a couple of weekends to do the SAS,,,,but it's all good once you start seeing some progress....

Me

Last edited:
B

Best13

Why Body swap ?

I still think its time for a bugy. I can be on the bender tommorw hahahahaha

S

Steve B

Pretty hard to put A/C in a buggy,,,better have a big alternator and blower

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Well, well, well. How quickly plans change. The Runner will be staying as is with new body.

A certian green Sami seems to have found its way to my driveway.

:flipoff: