5.3l transmission question

badcompany

Club Member
does anyone run a 5.3 with auto or standard and a 203/205 doubler?
just want to get some thoughts on a set up like this.

any comment about this is welcome.

thanks.

Last edited:

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
[MENTION=2]aweber[/MENTION] runs the 5.3 with a TH350/Toy/D300 doubler, don't know that anyone else on here runs an LS style motor. There's a guy on Jeepkings with the 5.3/6.0 and a NP435 manual as well for comparison if you're looking at a stick. I've got a 6.0 that's going behind a 350 as well, although I'll be running a 205 without a doubler for now.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Yup, 5.3 with TH350 here, details in my build thread. Wiring harness stripped of all Trans stuff by Wait For Me Performance. For the trans, I ordered all GM parts for the flex plate, but if I was to do it again, Advanced adapters sells the kit (spacer and flex plate) the LS has a different crank offset than older motors.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
...but if I was to do it again, Advanced adapters sells the kit (spacer and flex plate) the LS has a different crank offset than older motors.

I took his advice and have this sitting in the shop. It's nice that it has both torque converter patterns (large and small) drilled already, so no need to oval out the metric holes in the existing flexplate.

badcompany

Club Member
well hear is my situation:

i have some axles geared up to 5.38's
to compensate for the lack of power and i drive it daily
i want to put a 5.3 in it which i have wiring harness and ecm which i have
and a 203/205 which i have but im stuck when it comes to transmission.
i dont want to use a4l60e because its electronic and needs a vss to run it which originaly came on the stock t case

so that where im at with this now..

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
well hear is my situation:

i have some axles geared up to 5.38's
to compensate for the lack of power and i drive it daily
i want to put a 5.3 in it which i have wiring harness and ecm which i have
and a 203/205 which i have but im stuck when it comes to transmission.
i dont want to use a4l60e because its electronic and needs a vss to run it which originaly came on the stock t case

so that where im at with this now..

Tire size? The LS family likes to rev, but I'd seriously be looking at the 4L60 or 4L80 for overdrive. I think the 4L80 had a non-electronic variant in the 90's, but I'm not sure. I do know that the late 80's/early 90's square body Chevy's had a 205 with VSS, so it is an option.

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
If you want to stay away from an electronic overdrive (4L60/4L80) Look at building a 700R4. Its basically a 4L60 but without the electronics. Stock they are fairly weak, but doesnt take much to strengthen them up.

badcompany

Club Member
im running 35's and want to stay with that for now.
with a gear ratio/speed calculator the 5.3 and 700r4 the rpm's are 2169 at 60mph
5.3 and th350 the rpm's are 3099 at 60mph
i used this calculator http://www.crawlpedia.com/rpm_gear_calculator.htm

if these engines would give decent fuel mileage at that rpm id just go with the th350. alot easier to find

junkpile

The vss sensor kit in the link above will let you run the 4l60e, it puts the sensor in the tail before the t-case, if you don't like that option, here's a link to "Medusa", at the bottom of the page he details how he adapted the vss and tone ring to the tail of a 205. He's running a vortec sm465 203/205 doubler. In hindsight I'm not sure any of this is really helpful to you. You've probably researched all of this already.
Link:

http://medusa.ih8mud.com/NP205/Doubler.html

Last edited:

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
I assume this is for the buggy? A VSS is not needed ;) My wiring harness and tune has that shit stripped out. Runs mint with no codes - even Emissions monitors are green LOL

As for gas mileage, they are not bad, not zuk good, but I can wheel a couple days on a 16Gallon fuel cell.

What gears are you running in your axles? With the power of the v8, you could always go back down to 4:10's or something to help with top end. Running 42's and 4:56's in mine and blasting down the grid roads, I can get myself into plenty of trouble :)

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
35's and 60mph made me assume it was the road rig. If it's a buggy, Th350/400 all the way.

badcompany

Club Member
i drive it daily. some might have seen it before its a green 95 runner.
i reciently got the ord 203/205 doubler for it and this is why im asking questions at this point.
someone told me just today that there is some vss that can be hooked into a speedo cable ill have to research that.

the axles are geared 5.38 yes it might be eaiser to go to a th350 and just go back down to the 4.10 but plans are to get this thing to drive to alaska so a 4 speed might be nice..

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
the axles are geared 5.38 yes it might be eaiser to go to a th350 and just go back down to the 4.10 but plans are to get this thing to drive to alaska so a 4 speed might be nice..

Post up plans when you are planning on going - I might be able to convince Jenn to make the trip.

badcompany

Club Member
not to change this thread but last year was sault ste marie, this year souix lookout is in the works maybe pickle lake and hopefully to windigo lake.
tentative date is 1st week in august..everyone is welcome, the more the merrier i say.
btw this year might be an atv trip from thunder bay to souix lookout, if that falls through. thats 4 days on the trail...
if your going to be at spring fling we can talk more..
Alaska in about 2 years when i have my truck to where i want it to be.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Been to Pickle Lake before - think I'll pass on that one. The ATV trip from TBay (my hometown) to the Sioux would be pretty awesome though, it's a beautiful part of the province, and the sense of isolation isn't one that you can easily reproduce anywhere around here.

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
I think my buddy has a few 700R4's, and a few that are good for rebuild. I can ask him prices on them if your interested.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
700r4's share the same 27 spline output as the TH350's I believe, so if you have a 27 spline input 203 already, you're in good shape. Might need an adapter or something for the TV cable - is your 5.3 drive by wire or cable?