An update on the TYJ

YJ_Driver

Commoner
Club Member
I think the last update I posted was in 2006 when I swapped frames and when to coils. I haven't done much since, the major change was putting back a rear seat so I could bring the whole family wheeling.

Previously I had a large trunk using up the whole back area with the spare tire and Hi-Lift jack on top. I started by putting a stock seat in but after one trail run Barb had a sore back, so I bought a Bestop seat that is a bit taller and has a head rest (which is still too low but better...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

YJ_Driver

Commoner
Club Member
carrier with tire.JPG

I've ran two trails with it and it seems solid, though the Hi-Lift did hit the tailgate hinge. I'll add a rubber bumper behind the tire to the tailgate to stop it.

My 2x2" sidesteps with gritty tape was hard and somewhat unsafe for the kids to use, so I widened a section and put on rubber 'diamond plate', these work much better.

sidestep.JPG

In between these my original console was starting to fall apart so I bought a Tuffy Security Console which is great, more space, a comfy and perfectly placed arm rest, and steel cup holders ;)

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Is the handle for the swingaway locking? I would recommend getting one and get it in stainless but otherwise looks great!

YJ_Driver

Commoner
Club Member
I didn't get the locking one, I forget why (I bought it 2 years when I started working on it), it is stainless though. I had the non-locking on my previous Bullet Proof MFG carrier and never had a problem.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I didn't get the locking one, I forget why (I bought it 2 years when I started working on it), it is stainless though. I had the non-locking on my previous Bullet Proof MFG carrier and never had a problem.
Stainless is key, I didn't think it would be a big deal it started rusting right away. For me it was piece of mind, after watching a CJ with a swingaway swing open leaving a gas station I decided to do locking plus the extra step ensures that it is actually attached as it won't click otherwise.

brylade

Where did you get the rubber diamond plate?

Looks like a solution to a problem I'm having.

YJ_Driver

Commoner
Club Member
Home Hardware in Kanata, off Michael Cowpland Ave. about 5 years ago. It has a sticky backing but I screwed it down.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Home Hardware in Kanata, off Michael Cowpland Ave. about 5 years ago. It has a sticky backing but I screwed it down.

Holy crap, has it really been there for 5 years?

Mods look good - still planning on a new family cage I presume? Nailed down which one?

YJ_Driver

Commoner
Club Member
Holy crap, has it really been there for 5 years?

Mods look good - still planning on a new family cage I presume? Nailed down which one?

I'm deciding on which a-pillar mounts, and still looking for main hoop floor mounts.

O.D.

Club Member
Do you have specs richard for the rear carrier? I like the setup and i need to make something of a rack on mine.....

Looks good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

YJ_Driver

Commoner
Club Member
Do you have specs richard for the rear carrier? I like the setup and i need to make something of a rack on mine.....

Looks good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What kind of specs? All tubing is 0.120, I think the hinge pin was this one:
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-1-8-x-6-1-4-in-hitch-pin/A-p3806841e
I'd have to double check the tubing I used for the hinge, but the inner one was ~0.250 and the outer that I welded to was 0.120.

It's holding my 130lbs wheel just fine, even when swung open.

YJ_Driver

Commoner
Club Member
Finally some pics of my cage Mike built for me. I'm very happy with it, should be stronger than the Frankenstein factory bars and pipe I had and I like the look. I did compromise rear passenger head protection for the soft-top so I'll have to address that sometime.

I've since put foam padding on most of the upper bars, just don't have a pic yet.

YJ_Driver

Commoner
Club Member
I decided to make my own phone and GPS mount to roll bar adapters, the white plastic in these pics which I later painted black. By loosening the hose clamp I can move or rotate the mount.

And I'm probably the only person here that welded protection plates to his radio? Maybe this will become the next big thing :p

I have a leak somewhere behind my dash and gets on the radio.

YJ_Driver

Commoner
Club Member
And this happened to my internal beadlock on the way to the expedition:

Rather than buy a replacement I'm going to try to sell the other three, after I have time to pull them all out. I don't do enough serious crawling to justify having them, and won't air down as much as before.

Function > Form

Club Member
I don't think I saw your build before. Very nice!! I like the rear bumper...gives me some ideas for what I want to do for my rear bumper this winter.