Another New Extreme

Hi guys and gals, this will be a long post so grab a beer or coffee and enjoy the read... Those who hate long reads, I'm sure there are some chicks and Jeep pictures somewhere on the net or hot chested firemen posing half nude with their Firetrucks for women... so have fun googling them and skip my post... LOL

I bought my 1st ever new Jeep in October of last year. A 2016 Wrangler JK Unlimited, 75th Anniversary edition (Billet Metallic Grey/Blk int) with a soft and a hard top that is...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Attachments

• Toy 2.JPG
    Toy 2.JPG
    248.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 3 Toys.JPG
    3 Toys.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Welcome. :beer: Sweet looking collection of vehicles you have there.

Thanks Loco, yeah I like cars, but I mostly like vehicles with different extremes. It makes life more interesting.

There's a fix for that....

https://www.boltlock.com/product-specifications/jk-hood-lock/

Super easy install, No Limits Auto Parts (club member & sponsor) can get it for you. Just contact [MENTION=526]Logan[/MENTION] for a price.

Thanks Twinkie, I already bought one, not from No Limits though but I do buy my transmission oil from them for my 348 from Mike.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to become a member and where the trails are located at.

~

Mario

“Aerodynamics is for people who don't know how to build engines.” - Enzo Ferrari
“AMG, it’s not a car, it’s an Animal, you don't drive it, you cling on for dear life.” - Jeremy Clarkson

"I can go fast ^ Now I can go anywhere..." - Jeep
"The Jeep is the only true American sports car" - Enzo Ferrari

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
What I'm trying to figure out is how to become a member and where the trails are located at.
To become a member you need to attend 2 meetings, and attend 2 trail runs.

Meetings are the last Thursday of every month at the Royal Oak Pub in Centerpoint at 6pm'ish.

Trails runs are on hold until spring thaw is complete. You could attend our weekend camping event, Spring Fever, http://ovo.ca/spring_fever which if you attended both days would count as your runs. I'm pretty sure [MENTION=28]Mitko[/MENTION] is planning is annual Safety Course in Carp in the spring as well, that would count as a run.

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member

~

Mario

“Aerodynamics is for people who don't know how to build engines.” - Enzo Ferrari
“AMG, it’s not a car, it’s an Animal, you don't drive it, you cling on for dear life.” - Jeremy Clarkson

Trails are located mostly north/west of Ottawa, 1-3 hours away. For obvious reasons the trail locations, maps, entrances, etc. are not available in the open public media.

To become a member you need to attend 2 meetings, and attend 2 trail runs.

Meetings are the last Thursday of every month at the Royal Oak Pub in Centerpoint at 6pm'ish.

Trails runs are on hold until spring thaw is complete. You could attend our weekend camping event, Spring Fever, http://ovo.ca/spring_fever which if you attended both days would count as your runs. I'm pretty sure Mitko is planning is annual Safety Course in Carp in the spring as well, that would count as a run.

DAMN, I missed a meeting by a few days… crap.

Yeah, wheeling is dangerous in spring, melting snow and mud can be fatal in the wrong hidden areas in the snow. It also does serious damage to trails. Now winter wheeling in the snow is fun but a great challenge.

Annual safety course? Is this a mandatory course to join the club? (not that it doesn’t sound interesting), just curious. Is it part of a run or just meeting somewhere to talk about safety and do a few demonstrations???

I’m not really into camping and have no equipment to camp. Nor would I have the place to store it. But I looked at some pictures and saw a camping trailer. Does that mean you can drive a 2nd regular vehicle there with a trailer or gear to camp?

Trails are located mostly north/west of Ottawa, 1-3 hours away. For obvious reasons the trail locations, maps, entrances, etc. are not available in the open public media.

So nothing in the Ottawa area at all? Ok, not available to the general public, I totally understand that but once in the Club, you get access to all of this?

Can you give me more information about the safety course you give? And what does it entail? (If you still plan on giving it)…

P.S. Nice to see another Benz fan...

~

Mario

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Depends on how you define "Ottawa area". The safety course is typically run in Carp (there is a trail nearby), rest are more Lanark way, but within a few hours of Ottawa as Mitko said. Most folks drive to and from the trail.

As for SF, there is plenty of camping room available and the road is paved to the camp area. A few folks bring 30-40' Class A motorhomes in there.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Welcome!
Club plays in crown land (defined as provincial or federally controlled land) only or private land where allowed. If you look at the crown land map pretty much there isn't any further east than Carleton Place. The only trail we do east of that is Carp Trail which is actually City of Ottawa property and at one point was possibly going to be shut out except that there was a discussion made between an OVO member who talked down a local developer from getting the city involved. Rumour has it the city is looking at the smallest reason to shut down any of our trails and last time I was on Carp I can see why with the new bypasses that have been made but I digress....
Glad you joined the forum!

Welcome.

For SF you can drive in every day, or stay somewhere in or near Calabogie.

Well that is good to know since I would rather sleep in a small hotel/motel room (gf and 2 young daughters 8-10) so they could wash up and do their girl things. GF doesn't mind getting out in the mud and getting the winch or strap out to get things moving, but she likes her and the kids to be clean the next day...

~

Mario

Welcome!
Club plays in crown land (defined as provincial or federally controlled land) only or private land where allowed. If you look at the crown land map pretty much there isn't any further east than Carleton Place. The only trail we do east of that is Carp Trail which is actually City of Ottawa property and at one point was possibly going to be shut out except that there was a discussion made between an OVO member who talked down a local developer from getting the city involved. Rumour has it the city is looking at the smallest reason to shut down any of our trails and last time I was on Carp I can see why with the new bypasses that have been made but I digress....
Glad you joined the forum!

Yeah I understand about Crown land, but the Carp one, what do you mean an OVO member talked down a local developer from getting the city involved? Sorry, I don't get what you are trying to say. Also, by bypasses you mean... go around routes on harder obstacles? If so, why is this so bad if some vehicles can't go on really difficult areas of a trail? To me, the harder areas should have a bypass in order to not completely destroy the trail or severely damage a truck and risk oil/fluid spillage... But what do I know, I'm new to these trails...

~

Mario

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Yeah I understand about Crown land, but the Carp one, what do you mean an OVO member talked down a local developer from getting the city involved? Sorry, I don't get what you are trying to say. Also, by bypasses you mean... go around routes on harder obstacles? If so, why is this so bad if some vehicles can't go on really difficult areas of a trail? To me, the harder areas should have a bypass in order to not completely destroy the trail or severely damage a truck and risk oil/fluid spillage... But what do I know, I'm new to these trails...

~

Mario

The trail used to come out on March road - when a developer put in some homes, there was a noise concern (among other things). Said developer was going to talk to the City about it, and the city's policy is one of "we're fine with the road allowance being used until someone complains". A member here talked to the developer and smoothed things over.

As for Carp being a hard trail, it's likely one of the easiest ones we have. But bypasses shouldn't not be cut willy-nilly because you're afraid of a little damage or mud (as I can only see the case being on Carp), only for legitimately hard obstacles, and even then, thought needs to be put into where the bypass is cut.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
To further extrapolate, it wasn't noise concern the mud hole that was at the end of the trail right before it entered private property (the old Crazy Horse saloon) was split between city and the developer's property, when the developer started building near it he spent about 20k in redirecting water away (he may have been exaggerating the amount but we don't know and shortly after some came through and tore it all up. He had already been talking to the city at that point, Louis mediated the situation and reached out to the other local clubs and agreed that the burnt out GC was now considered the turn around spot. There are two bypasses within 30 feet, one is justifiable which is the bypass the last mudhole before the GC, the other is the bypass for the ledge that @Kunker is quite familiar with, we are talking about 3ft ledge at most a stock 4door JK has to be a bit careful there as you may scrape the underneath but it was still doable.

The trail used to come out on March road - when a developer put in some homes, there was a noise concern (among other things). Said developer was going to talk to the City about it, and the city's policy is one of "we're fine with the road allowance being used until someone complains". A member here talked to the developer and smoothed things over.

As for Carp being a hard trail, it's likely one of the easiest ones we have. But bypasses shouldn't not be cut willy-nilly because you're afraid of a little damage or mud (as I can only see the case being on Carp), only for legitimately hard obstacles, and even then, thought needs to be put into where the bypass is cut.[/QUOTE

Yeah I understand that... the noise can be an issue. As far as being hard, is it stock friendly or is it only for modified vehicles with bigger tires and a lift?

~

Mario

To further extrapolate, it wasn't noise concern the mud hole that was at the end of the trail right before it entered private property (the old Crazy Horse saloon) was split between city and the developer's property, when the developer started building near it he spent about 20k in redirecting water away (he may have been exaggerating the amount but we don't know and shortly after some came through and tore it all up. He had already been talking to the city at that point, Louis mediated the situation and reached out to the other local clubs and agreed that the burnt out GC was now considered the turn around spot. There are two bypasses within 30 feet, one is justifiable which is the bypass the last mudhole before the GC, the other is the bypass for the ledge that @Kunker is quite familiar with, we are talking about 3ft ledge at most a stock 4door JK has to be a bit careful there as you may scrape the underneath but it was still doable.

Ok, if I have this straight... the developer made some water work and someone destroyed it doing 4wheeling on it?!?!

What is the burnt out GC?

3 foot wall on a stock JK, what about a JKU?

~

Mario

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
He had done a ton of dredging getting the water redirected plus all the permits, yadda, yadda and within 2 weeks of doing it, all of the work was undone. He was so pissed off that he had put the money in and it was undone so quickly. He also alluded that in his discussion with the city they were itching to shut down all of the trails in city limits because this doesn't meet their "green vision" and it wouldn't take much. He didn't say which councillor he was talking to at the time so grain of salt and all that..

Basically the story is someone had stolen a Grand Cherokee and dumped it in Carp totalled. City knows who owns it, the guy isn't willing to get it recovered so there it sits. You can't miss it :)

Stock 2 door JK would have had no issues, the JKU would scrape and may snag the rear diff if they went at it wrong. It isn't really a wall but more of a 2.5-3ft ledge, it isn't a 90 degree slope either. I was able to do it simply when I was still running 31's and a 2" budget boost on my TJ.
The last time I had gone there (about 2 years now) there had been a bypass put in and the problem is over time the bypasses lead to new bypasses. What is a bypass now for the mudhole at the base of this ledge was getting so mucked up it may end up getting a new bypass for that. The one thing it has going for it is it is a short curve so people can't start doing big digs before they end up in trees and the area around it is raised so it makes it that much more difficult to put a bypass in.