Another New Hopeful Member

SC86

Hey everyone! I'm new to the Ottawa area, and have been looking for some people and places for off-roading. I have experience with offroad and recovery because of my previous job, before I moved. Most of my experience was in military vehicles tho, so my own haven't been modified (yet). I have a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, which has proved ok for the little that I've tried with it so far. I also have a 2017 Ram Rebel. Generally, I'll use the Jeep for any fun I might try to have.
Its good to see...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Function > Form

Club Member
Welcome to Ottawa and to OVO!

There was a fellow in a trailhawk cherokee at one of the OVO events last year, it did ok where it had the clearance. The rear locker and decent tires helped. At stock height, you will be limited to power line runs and forest service roads though. Regardless, see you out there!

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
Welcome!
I did a run with the other guy with the Trailhawk last year too. He did pretty good. Didnt think it do as well as it did, but a good driver and tires made a big difference I found. Hope to see you out this year!
To become a full member we ask you to attend 2 meetings and 2 trail runs. The run schedule was just posted up. Closer to the run date we will make a separate thread listing what the trail involves and what you need done to tackle the trail. The meetings are the last Thursday of every month, and will have a thread posted about location and time about a week or two prior to meeting,

Last edited:

SC86

I don't plan on leaving it stock for long but for the first few runs it will probably be. I intend on getting an MFC lift, RRO supersliders, and some better tires. I haven't decided on the tires yet.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Function > Form

Club Member
From their site, it sounds like you can fit a 32" on there with that lift, which would open up lots of trail options for you around here.

SC86

Yeah. With the mfc lift I should get 32s on it. Not sure which 32s to go with yet.
I'm also considering the long travel shocks for the back, and the sway bar disconnects. They might be for another time tho, lol.

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
When choosing tires, you really need to look at how your using your vehicle 90% of the time.
If that 90% is on road & highways, a good all terrain is best choice. BFG A/T KO2, GY Duratrac, DC trail country, ETC.
If your 90% off road (like my jeep is) Then you should go with a more dedicated off road tire. Pitbull, Interco, Maxxis, ETC.
Although lots of people do run full on mud tires on their daily drivers, they do wear out faster. But if you are able to run 2 sets of wheels and tires, have a set for on road then a dedicated set for off road. That would be ideal, but a higher cost in the beginning.

SC86

For now, I use it 95% on road, from Winchester to downtown Ottawa each day for work. Once I get a few things done to it, I'll start using it more for offroad, although it will still be my daily for getting to work.
I've looked at getting the KO2s, or possibly Nitto Grappler MTs. I have a little while to decide, but I'm open to opinions on any other good options.

Minion

I have Duratracs on my truck and they have worked really well for the offroading I have done with them.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Welcome!
How much clearance do you expect you will get with 32's? Nice to have bigger tires but if it is still pretty low you will be looking at how to beef up the underneath which will lead to worse mileage.

If you decide to do mud terrains, up until this year I was running the KM2s and found they wore pretty well. I wouldn't necessarily run them in the winter but then again I wouldn't run anything but proper winter tires in the winter.

SC86

With the mfc lift and 32s on, it'll have just over 12" of clearance. It has full skid plates under already, and when I get the supersliders, it shouldn't be an issue if I grind across a few obstacles lol.

Function > Form

Club Member
This is so true....when I lifted, then next thing I did was load up on armour...forget gas mileage for a modded off roader lol :p

I went with set of 5 Hankooks but went skinny to minimize rubbing (below, pretty cheap) and have been happy with them for 95% on road. They are LTs so they have hardly any wear after 3 years and ~50,000 kms. They are an AT not a mud tire, but they do fine off road. They are only 'ok/acceptable' in the winter even thought they have the mtn/snowflake rating.

Most people have been very happy with duratracs and KO2s if you can afford them for mixed on/off road. Neither are mud tires either. Look for the mtn/snowflake rating also when you are shopping unless you already have snows.

SC86

We used ko2s on some of the civilian pattern vehicles for the training area in NB, they worked more than well enough for the little bit we were allowed to do with those vehicles. A few other people have mentioned them as well.
I'm not overly worried about fuel mileage. I guess owning a jeep and a ram doesn't exactly scream fuel efficiency.

Function > Form

Club Member
With the mfc lift and 32s on, it'll have just over 12" of clearance. It has full skid plates under already, and when I get the supersliders, it shouldn't be an issue if I grind across a few obstacles lol.

missed this update - 12 is decent, good that you have armour. Hitting the rocks is actually kinda fun with the underside protected well :D