Another Trail Bites the Dust.

T

TJCeeJay

Well, tried to go out wheelin' today. However, when I got to Upper Dwyer Hill Road at Hwy 7, I found that the entrance to the forest north of the highway has been bulldozed for the twinning of highway 7. Damn! That's O.K. I'll just go in through McArton Road. Nope! Not without a snorkel. Or at least someone willing to get wet and show me how deep the water is. Looks like the city went along McArton Road for like half a kilometer with a bulldozer digging up 50 foot long troughs along the road...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
I was through the Dwyer Hill trail with Trukie a couple weekends ago. We go in from the end of Corkery Rd. You can also go in from Howie. Thats where some nice mud holes are. We then follow a trail and come out at McArton Road and i made it through with my stock tj on 31"s. I go throught there a fair amount and havn't had a problem with the water being too deep yet. But try going in off Corkery and play around there.

Matt

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
That's the way McArton is. Stay in the middle, solid bottom. Water doesn't get much more than knee deep or so. This is a fire road. Trust me, the city needs to keep it passable.

T

TJCeeJay

I was through the Dwyer Hill trail with Trukie a couple weekends ago. We go in from the end of Corkery Rd. You can also go in from Howie. Thats where some nice mud holes are. We then follow a trail and come out at McArton Road and i made it through with my stock tj on 31"s. I go throught there a fair amount and havn't had a problem with the water being too deep yet. But try going in off Corkery and play around there.

Matt

Cool! :cool: Thanx! I was eyebaliing the Corkery and Howie Road entrances with the MSN Live Search Maps. (Better than Google Earth for detail level) http://maps.live.com/ Only thing I was unsure of was the nasty looking stream / swampy area. :( Starting about 100 meters to your right when you get to the hydro lines and continuing to where you make the left turn to get into the woods from the hydro lines. Is that area as bad as it looks? :eek: Can the mud be avoided? Yeah I know. I just slapped myself for you for saying that... No winch, stock except some 29" Cooper ATR's. Usually alone. Please say you understand...:rolleyes:

That's the way McArton is. Stay in the middle, solid bottom. Water doesn't get much more than knee deep or so. This is a fire road. Trust me, the city needs to keep it passable.

Damn! I'd hate to see what the City considers IMPASSABLE and in need of a fixer upper. :eek:

Have either of you been to the trails starting at the Northern end of Rock Coady Trail at Panmure Road? They look even better than the Dwyer Hill / McArton / Corkery and Howie Road trails. Judging by the terrain maps on Google Maps and Toporama Canada, http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/engli...toponymy contour nodata_ntdb_50k&hidetextbox= the Coady Trail trails, (Coady Trail trails? Hmmm...) are mostly along the top and sides of a ridge with lots of hills and flatrock slopes and open areas. Looks awesome! Ever been?

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
Hahah, yes i totally understand. No i have never been over there. I will definetly have to try that some time, thanks.

As for the Dwyer Hill trail. Yes that area is pretty swampy right now because of all of the rain, it's usually not a problem. You can go around it though. When you go in from Corkery, go straight when you get to the power lines (there will be a trail into the bush). You will then get to a fork in the trail and stick right. That will take you around the swampy area.

Matt