Anyone have Big-Hoe's number?

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
Cant get him through pm. Need to find out if he still has a 35" tire for me.

B

Big-Hoe

I do! My name is Luc and my number is 613-883-2704 if anyone needs me. Texting works better. Oh, and I already contacted Logan.

98AT

What do you have done to your Tahoe for suspension?Lifted with Keys and Rear Blocks?Or just T-bars Cranked and Blocks?Or do you have an actual suspension lift,your running 35's on it with a 15x8 rim?

Just curious,I'm thinking of upgrading to a 6" Rough Country Lift and some 35's.

B

Big-Hoe

It's got keys and rear blocks plus a 3" body lift, had to cut the front bumper a little for clearance. 7" rims on it now, but I want to go 14.50" wide, that's why I am looking for 8" or wider wheels. It rides smooth as hell but I will be doing an sas once I collect all the parts I need. You should do the proper suspension lift, cause these frames sit way too low.

D

dan_the_man

It's not that the frame sits way to low, it's that its 18 fawking inches thick. Haha.

B

Big-Hoe

True, if they tucked it up in the body it would be halfway up my a$$;) But seriously, if he wants to go on the rocks a proper suspension lift is the way to go, and keep a couple spare front axles on hand. 20$ at kenny u-pull and they are the same on both sides. I could problably swap one in 20-30 minutes easy. But I have clean threads, use anti-seize and most of the front end is new. I am doing an sas, partly for the rocks but mostly because I've never done it before. A lot of guys complain about week IFS, but at 20$ an axle... I don't really see a problem, except articulation. Works well in the mud.

B

Big-Hoe

98AT, if you haven't already, pull your alternator and change the drive gear. Might be the best 60$ you ever spend on that truck. The gear wears down and gets knife edged causing some erratic misfires, poor performance and mileage. The dummy light won't let you know until it is really gone, meanwhile your truck slowly runs worse and worse. Mark the gear before you pull it off, as installing it 180 degrees will set the timing off a little. Mark the base of the distributor too. Then just slip it all back together and you will probably save yourself that 60$ in fuel in two weeks. if the dummy light doesn't come on when you put it all back together then you are within spec for the computer as far as timing. Or go to a shop with a good scanner to have it zeroed.

98AT

I havent changed the alternator drive gear but I will look into it.I keep up maintnance on my truck pretty regularly,its been running like a top for me for the last while.Never really heard about the drive gear replacement.I've been meaning to have my timing set for the last 6 monhs after I did my last tune-up,havent had the chance to get to a dealership.

Ive had the truck going on 4yrs now,only money Ive put into it is IM Gaskets besides the regular wear and tear maintnance.Its been a great truck,never left me stranded and its performed well for me on the trails.

Ive been doing research for a while on lifts,I dont do enough off roading to justify an SAS although one day I would love to.The Rough Country kit is very solid and has nothing but good reviews and I know some people that also have it.I've also looked at a few others but for the price of the Rough Country you cant go wrong,nothign can come close to it and the build quality is top notch.

The truck currently has 33" tires,rear 2.5" block and t-bars cranked about 1.25".Its been my daily vehicle for the past year although I am going back to my Honda for daily duties with gas prices and the truck will be used on weekends for backcountry camping and exploring which I do fairly frequently.

B

Big-Hoe

Sorry, guess I was a little tired yesterday. I've never heard of an alternator drive gear either LOL. I meant distributor! The 6" rough country is exactly what I was going to get. That frame is killer, especially with the long wheel base. But my truck did pretty damn well at Calabogie in my opinion. And don't mind Dan's comment, it's just "frame envy", common condition among the unibody guys. They're jealous that our bodies don't twist so much that the windows blow out on the trails like theirs do!

98AT

I replaced my distributer last fall when I was doing a big tune-up on the truck,I never went to get my timing properly set at the dealer.It runs fine but the odd time if its been sitting for a few days it will stutter for a few minutes on warm up.

I will look into getting the drive gear replaced,I made an appointment to have the timing set next week finally.From what I have read so far it seems like the difference is pretty noticeable.

B

Big-Hoe

New distributor probably came with a new gear so you should be good. And if the trouble light didn't come on after you installed then you are in range. The computer sets the timing. How many kilometers on the truck? I have heard a lot of guys complaining about stumbling after sitting. Seems the vinyl tubes going to the poppet injectors will leak and cause this. But I haven't had that issue yet. These are incredibly dependable motors, I love them.

98AT

Trouble light was on right after but eventually went away,not sure if a code is being stored or not.When I go to get the timing properly set this week I will find out.

The truck has high KM's on it,I'm around 400k right now,the motor runs and drives like its got 80k on it.These Vortec motors are very durable and hard to kill,I've had the tranny rebuilt which is the real weak link like the 10bolt out back.One day I plan to upgrade to a 14bolt when I have the downtime available.

I'm sending my ECM out to Blackbear this week to have a tune installed on it once I have my timing set.Ive heard great things about Blackbear tunes,hige improvements over stock and for $200 you can't go wrong.

I plan on keeping the truck forever,it will eventually be a dedicated trail rig once I find a replacement this fall.Right now I'm looking at the 06+ Tundra Crew Cabs,I'll hopefully be bringing one up from the states this fall if I can find what I want.