Anything wrong with Yukon Ring & Pinion?

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Having a bit of trouble locating 7.5" 5.29 ring and pinion for the front of the 'Runner. Randy's R&P has Yukon's and USA Standard's in stock, Richmond's are out of stock.
The USA Standard's are uber cheap, so that right there is a red flag, unless someone else has used them and think they are fine, which just leaves me with Yukon's.
Any opinions?

leadfoot

Club Member
u can stop saying it and save your SAS parts for me, then I don't have much of an excuse, do I?[/QUOTE]

He won't need any of those front suspention parts soon cause he's probably going to link the front, swap in some rockwells and 46" tires. :lmao:

BillaVista

PrettyBoy
Having a bit of trouble locating 7.5" 5.29 ring and pinion for the front of the 'Runner. Randy's R&P has Yukon's and USA Standard's in stock, Richmond's are out of stock.
The USA Standard's are uber cheap, so that right there is a red flag, unless someone else has used them and think they are fine, which just leaves me with Yukon's.
Any opinions?

Never heard of "USA Standard's". US Gear I have heard of and they are quality.

With Yukon it's a crap-shoot. They are all re-boxed (no such thing as a Yukon gear factory). I have bought Yukon twice and once got Spicer and once got US Gear - both quality gear sets, no problems.

R

Root Moose

From what I've read at NAXJA, the crap shoot that comes into play is where the gears were manufactured that week. India or China, which plant has better QC kinda thing.

Dunno if there is any truth to it.

Mark me down with the SFA crowd. Don't throw money out the window. Is an elocker FJ80 axle the right pattern/width? :D

P

PJF4x4

We sell hundreds of Yukon gears and have no problems what so ever.

The only gears that fail are those that are badly installed by a hack.

We probably have the 5.29's in stock....

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
From what I've read at NAXJA, the crap shoot that comes into play is where the gears were manufactured that week. India or China, which plant has better QC kinda thing.

Dunno if there is any truth to it.

Mark me down with the SFA crowd. Don't throw money out the window. Is an elocker FJ80 axle the right pattern/width? :D

Do you *have* a FJ80 w/ elocker axle?!?!?

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
We sell hundreds of Yukon gears and have no problems what so ever.

The only gears that fail are those that are badly installed by a hack.

We probably have the 5.29's in stock....

Hi Pierre/Danny (not sure which one of you cruise the forum), I plan on ordering my stuff from you but trail-gear doesn't list any 7.5" R&P's, so I was going to source my own. If you can get all of it, then I'll be calling later today!

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
As for "wasting" money by not SAS'ing this year, the only money wasted is in the front gear and locker, which is easily recovered on Yotatech or else where. I'm not worried about dropping $500 in to the front end of my truck for a year. Everything else in the plan would be reused on a SAS conversion.
Bud from BudBuilt emailed me last night as he was bending up my tcase cross member, service AND communication!

R

Root Moose

Do you *have* a FJ80 w/ elocker axle?!?!?
LOL

No, but give me a few weeks and I can probably find one.

They don't call me "scrounger d'extraordinaire" for nothing. :D

The wasting money bit was more of a joke. I have a ton of "wasted money" out in the garage so I'm no one to talk.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
LOL

The wasting money bit was more of a joke. I have a ton of "wasted money" out in the garage so I'm no one to talk.

It wasn't directed at you, a few people (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!) have said it. I'm just clarifying for their bennefit.
A FJ80 with elocker would make a very interesting swap. High pinion and all. I believe they run bigger axles in those too. Let me know if you can locate one, I thought they were pretty rare. I had a hell of a time locating FJ80 springs!!!

R

Root Moose

Well, if you are serious I'll start looking. Off the cuff I'm going to expect the price will be in the ~$1500 range before shipping.

Want a rear too? :D

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Well, if you are serious I'll start looking. Off the cuff I'm going to expect the price will be in the ~$1500 range before shipping.

Want a rear too? :D

Eeeeks. At that price I'd prolly go toy mini truck. LoL When you said "scrounger d'extraordinaire" I hoped it meant cheap too. Put some feelers out for curiosity sake.

R

Root Moose

I saw an ebay pkg deal for a pair of axles off a JDM FZJ80. They sold for something like $1200 BUT the rear housing was bent.

Refresh my memory, FJ80 e-lockers fit in mini-truck axles with some creative mods?

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
LOL

While your at it, i am looking for just the regular Hi-Pinion 3rd, not the e-locker variety.. :D

P

PJF4x4

Hi Pierre/Danny (not sure which one of you cruise the forum), I plan on ordering my stuff from you but trail-gear doesn't list any 7.5" R&P's, so I was going to source my own. If you can get all of it, then I'll be calling later today!

Only our hairdresser knows for sure......:D

We have the gear in stock and it`s $175+tax