Back in the Saddle

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Hey Guys
Went for 1 run with OVO a few years back and had a good time but life was just too busy at the time to get anytime to wheel. Even sold my Cherokee to a buddy 1 1/2 years ago and just bought it back. Looking for some info if anybody has the time. I would like to put a 44 into the front of the XJ. Has anybody had experience with this? I am not sure if they ever came with them and if so what year, or what vehicle do I need one from if they never came in an XJ and how much work is...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Hey John
Good to talk to you again. Yeah I was trying to get in for this Sunday's run but I didn't get safetied and into my name yet so :-(.
Yeah 44 out back currently with LSD and the 30 up front. Well maybe I will try the 30 for awhile. It's just that it needs 2 ball joints and hub bearings on both sides, so before I spent the money on refurbishing those I was thinking about investing that cash into something I will have a harder to break while driving ??normal?? haha.
dj

K

kbrousseau

Some waggys have driver side drop front 44's (sold mine to Trevor), only in the later years they had them. Many of them also had that vacuum disconnect that you have to look out for though.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Modification

So to install one from a full size then I would be into cutting the tubes and axles? Or is there a whole lot of other modifications to take into consideration. Thanks for the info about those vacuum disconnect models K.
And at this point do I have to look at Jeep only axles or should I just be looking for any 44 with drivers side drop. A Ford, Dodge or Chevy??? (always on the passenger) 44 might be easier to find if I have to cut it anyway?

K

kbrousseau

The full size Jeep front 44 is very close to the width of the front d30 thats in your Cherokee, within a few inches, maybe even less. I guess thats why they are such a popluar swap. I find anywhere from 59-60 3/4" depending on what article you read. I believe a d30 cherokee is in the 60-61" range but I could be wrong.

tlowe

Hi Dwayne, I have a 97 TJ with a D30 right now, and have a D44 from a waggy in my garage for a future re-build. What you are looking for is a 87 and up waggy without the axle disconnect like Keith said. They are almost exactly the same size as the D30. To install one you would have to weld on all of the brackets. There is also the D44 from a Rubicon which is a direct bolt in.

But considering that you have a XJ, and therefore have a hi-pinion D30, I'm not sure that that the upgrade is worth while unless you plan on 35-37in tires. I have wheeled my TJ for the last 2 years with 35's and locked in the front with no problems to speak about. I also have a XJ D30 in my garage that I bought from a guy that was running 36in swampers with very little problems.

I don't think you need to swap right now...Come out and wheel it first and then if you do want to swap....Go for it........

Trevor :beer:

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Thanks for the info

Hey Keith and Trevor
Thanks for the info. With this knowledge I will keep the D30 and see what happens. If I happen to stumble across a late model waggy I will pick it up. What do you mean by hi-pinion? Any idea where is a good place to buy these chrome moly axles? Also off-topic I just bought a Mile Marker 8000lb winch yesterday, before I install it anybody have anything good or bad to say about Mile Marker?

Thanks again
Dwayne
:beer: