Battery cutoff

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
I've got a cheap PA battery cutoff switch on the shelf, and I'm not entirely sure it'll handle the continuous amperage load of winching. For those on here running everything through a cutoff switch, which one are you using? I'm considering Flaming River's 500A continuous rated switch:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/fla-fr1046/overview/

But I'm not sure if I'm being overly paranoid vs the more common 150-200A rated ones.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
I've got a cheap PA battery cutoff switch on the shelf, and I'm not entirely sure it'll handle the continuous amperage load of winching. For those on here running everything through a cutoff switch, which one are you using? I'm considering Flaming River's 500A continuous rated switch:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/fla-fr1046/overview/

But I'm not sure if I'm being overly paranoid vs the more common 150-200A rated ones.

I did not run my winch through the cutoff for that reason. Positive lead for winch and the constant power for the ECU to retain settings are the only two things I did not run through it.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
I did not run my winch through the cutoff for that reason. Positive lead for winch and the constant power for the ECU to retain settings are the only two things I did not run through it.

No concerns with a remote battery (I can't remember if yours is in the back or not)? I'll be 3-4' away, and through a firewall, so I'm trying to be as safe as I can. Everything other than the starter/winch will be on a switchable breaker as it is, so I can always disconnect there for lower draw items.

Bones

I have always run the power thru a relay similar to a start solenoid but rated continues. A toggle switch on the dash powered it up. A winch solenoid will also work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
I'm not worried about the rest of the accessories, specifically the starter and winch draw on the main power from the battery. Since the lead will be passing through the firewall, I'd like a disconnect that I can shut that load off, and that may be separate from the disconnect I'll be using for the rest of the accessories.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
From what I have read, you are better off not using any cutoff switch. Most cutoff switches don't reach the rating a winch can get to (500A not enough when you are at the last layer). Better off wiring in a relay and have that go through the firewall.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
No concerns with a remote battery (I can't remember if yours is in the back or not)? I'll be 3-4' away, and through a firewall, so I'm trying to be as safe as I can. Everything other than the starter/winch will be on a switchable breaker as it is, so I can always disconnect there for lower draw items.

I ran 0 gauge to the back, I put one of those special insulated through the firewall battery posts on the firewall and just ran the ground to the frame. never had an issue with amperage to the winch.