CG's Mall Crawlin YJ

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Some people start to convert their rig into a buggy in the spring and don't get wheeling until well into summer. Some people start building their stock 4x4 into something much more capable in the spring and don't get wheeling until late summer. I did both :banghead:

I bought a YJ Sahara to part out, and Connie says "Oh, that looks in pretty good shape, maybe I could drive that. After closer inspection besides the normal YJ body rot the rest of the truck was ok. I mean an intact solid frame...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Well I didn't quite research the SOA thoroughly enough and believed that my GC pitman arm which is usually what people use for such thing would be enough. So after further research and knowing that I did not want to put a D44 especially as Connie will not be hardcore wheeling I found this

http://www.jb4x4.com/store/

They are a very small place and don't really do much more than the raised steering bracket but they do it very well. In is one of the best set of instructions I have ever used with every tip like "removing the cast ridge chamfering the edge of the arm to fit the bracket" exactly as it was worded.

The steering is not hooked up as I still hadn't got the required 87-90 adjusting sleeve (drag-link) to go with my 91-95 tie rods but I can see that bump steer is not going to be an issue and if anything that knuckle is now much stronger.

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
I WANT!!! btw honked at you friday... you looked like you were on a mission though.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Connie here - my hubby clearly loves me a lot! He has hardly worked on his own ride this week! Maybe I'll let him drive it every once in a while :) Also, he tried to fix my front load washing machine (we know a lot about Frigidaires now) and didn't get angry hardly at all when I blew the third tractor lawn mower moter - I average 1 per summer...Good thing he's a handy fellow.

Last edited:

DannyL

connie here - my hubby clearly loves me a lot! He has hardly worked on his own ride this week! Maybe i'll let him drive it every once in a while :) also, he tried to fix my front load washing machine (we know a lot about frigidaires now) and didn't get angry hardly at all when i blew the third tractor lawn mower moter - i average 1 per summer...good thing he's a handy fellow.

lmao!!!!!!!!!

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
and didn't get angry hardly at all when I blew the third tractor lawn mower moter - I average 1 per summer...Good thing he's a handy fellow.

Another one?!?!?!? Geezus girl! He may not have been angry to you, but I bet something in the garage took a major beating when you weren't around. LMAO!!

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Installed GC rear disc brakes, if you are doing this on a drum D44 with semi-float bearings you need an adapter to make up the extra width of the GC backing plate and in before you had to fab it but now it is available from Chrysler for just over $12 a side. I used this write up http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspension/d44brake/bc-1.htm .

Have you ever noticed that once you start doing brake lines that it is like eating chips? Once you start you have to keep going until you are finished.

And I hate when you do a bunch of fancy bends and then the roll is 18" short, luckily I had a second roll on the wall. Building this YJ is helping me clear up old stock :lmao:

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Oh that YJ body doesn't look that bad. Ugggh.......what was I thinking :banghead:

Driver side before hammer and grinder:

Cut bad out :(

Cut new piece weld in:

Cut new piece weld in:

Cut new piece weld in:

Well you get the point:

Hmmm I guess it isn't just a bulb on that is wrong with the passenger light, the wiring to it.

Passenger side before, I thought it was the good side.

Guess again:

I would have given up a long time ago without the plasma.
1. Cut out piece from cardboard.
2. Clamp carboard to steel and trace with plasma.
3. Weld in.

Though it is still tedious and hateful.
So the moral of the story is I am not really that slow, just whacked for doing this project :p

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
I wouldn't call it mustard, more a off light khaki, I was trying to mix a darker yellow and that is what 3-1 yellow to black makes. Connie took it upon herself to use it on the frame when i was at the meeting last month so take it up with her :stir:
I really was unsure of it when I first saw it but it will go with the yellow and looks much better not in direct flash. Or we could just paint it gray later if we don't like it :flipoff:

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
I wouldn't call it mustard, more a off light khaki, I was trying to mix a darker yellow and that is what 3-1 yellow to black makes. Connie took it upon herself to use it on the frame when i was at the meeting last month so take it up with her :stir:
I really was unsure of it when I first saw it but it will go with the yellow and looks much better not in direct flash. Or we could just paint it gray later if we don't like it :flipoff:

Basic black is always a nice touch. :flipoff: What is it with you valley guys with your colours?