CJ7 Masacre: Two Jeeps, Two Men, Very Little Knowledge....

B

blair_b

Thought I'd finally start a build thread on these weapons.

78' CJ7, previously Billygoat's ride:

79'...errrr 73'??? CJ7, previously some dude with a lot of blue wires' ride:

Updates to come, gotta go eat MORE turkey...

Last edited:
B

blair_b

As you can see, the blue heep was pretty much done. Body rot was severe. Actually had a rogue stick punch up through the floor on the passenger side during a run last fall.... luckily he was flying solo. That pretty much solidified the need for a new body:

Finally found a fibreglass tub this spring:

Unfortunately part of the deal was taking this old YJ with it....also with a badly molested and rotted body:

The "internet" had assured us that the swap process was straight forward.... nothing is straight forward.

Last edited:
B

blair_b

Sanding began at the start of summer..... sanding continued.... and then again some more. Finally we were ready for paint. New appreciation for the cost of a professional paint job. Paint supplies from NAPA- I had suggested tremclad rattle caning it, but that was shot down.

Personally I love the look of primer gray and may finish my jeep in flat gray down the road.

Imagine if you will: late June, 1PM, 32 degrees.... dressed in a plastic bag and a respirator:

The front fenders are already fibreglass and the hood/clip are in good shape, so no need to replace, just mask and shoot:

After that things got busy and the project got put on the shelf for a few months. My yard full of junk puts Lanark to shame...

B

blair_b

And then the fun part began... tear down. Lots of fine work and attention to detail with the sawzall, torches, pry bars and of course the mini sledge.

We did however pay close attention to how everything came apart... sort of. As you can see I often forget to take progress photos, in my defense this is difficult when you have an armful of firewall.

Tear down hint#1 before you begin the destruction go over the scrap box you are dismantling and make the wise choice to replace most, if not all of the hardware. Why mess about with seized bolts when you could just cut or torch them off. This saves a lot of time. Although, we did salvage the tailgate hinges.... but it took about an hour of "careful" drilling and smashing with the sledge.

It also helps to have somebody around who's done this before- enter my buddy Derrick, he was our navigator keeping us headed in the right direction. This cut out much of the discussion about what to do next. He was not around when we put things back together though.... that was all us.

I love loose pieces of metal just hanging out underneath the old body???