Dual lockers

J

Joust

Adrian put me onto Aussie Lockers. I LOVE the idea. Automatic lockers. Genius.
anyway I have a question.
they state in their FAQ:
We "Do Not" recommend the installation of a locker in the front of a vehicle that will be driven on icy highways in 4WD without manual hubs.

I do have manual hubs but wonder why they say this? Is it a bad idea to put this locker in the front of my 85 yota daily driver?

R

Root Moose

Lockers cause serious understeer (push).

Plus, on slippy surfaces they can lock solid (the whole point of lockers!) and cause undesired/unexpected handling.

Turn the wheels and you keep going straight - or worse.

LSDs have similar traits but not as bad.

This is one of the reasons that lockers like ARB and Ox are so popular. They are manual and can be left turned off for high speed winter highway travel.

That's it in a nutshell.

Last edited:

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Yup, what he said...

It is easy to over-think a project, but when you are on a budget you need to make the smart choices and spend the money in the right places.

Are you going to daily drive the truck in the winter?

If so, don't put one in the front spend the money elsewhere like t-case gears

If not, put a locker in the front and just live with it (one hub unlocked or 2Wd). Terry has been driving all winter with no 4wd at all :)

Order of importance for your 4runner:

-do your IFS box with Hi_Steer and "rears" up front (to level out your 63" chevy rear conversion)
-Good Tires
-TCase gears or dual cases
-Rear Locker
-Diff Gears

G

Gadzooks

Yup, what he said...

It is easy to over-think a project, but when you are on a budget you need to make the smart choices and spend the money in the right places.

Are you going to daily drive the truck in the winter?

If so, don't put one in the front spend the money elsewhere like t-case gears

If not, put a locker in the front and just live with it (one hub unlocked or 2Wd). Terry has been driving all winter with no 4wd at all :)

Order of importance for your 4runner:

-do your IFS box with Hi_Steer and "rears" up front (to level out your 63" chevy rear conversion)
-Good Tires
-TCase gears or dual cases
-Rear Locker
-Diff Gears

Great input here, but would you not list Diff gears after tires, (to spin those new "good tires" and then rear locker before t-case, as it's an affordable mod that'll drastically improve off road traction = fun!

BillaVista

PrettyBoy
I have some off-road vehicle driving experience, and I will never drive in winter in 4wd with an automatic fromt locker. Did once. Scary as hell. Especially sacry if you have modified suspension, increased CG height, larger wheels/tires (particularly without brake upgrades) or other modifications that impact road handling. Wouldn;t do it in summer in 4wd either, for that matter.

For a DD that needs to be used in 4wd on the road, stick with open or go with a slectable.

R

Root Moose

Great input here, but would you not list Diff gears after tires, (to spin those new "good tires" and then rear locker before t-case, as it's an affordable mod that'll drastically improve off road traction = fun!

I guess it depends on how you look at it.

If he has lower t-case gears he has spent less money and is competent in the bush and/or easy on the clutch/drivetrain because of the low range. For on road, sure, under-geared but drivable in the short term.

But if he has the money - do the gears with the tires at the same time.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
I guess it depends on how you look at it.

If he has lower t-case gears he has spent less money and is competent in the bush and/or easy on the clutch/drivetrain because of the low range. For on road, sure, under-geared but drivable in the short term.

But if he has the money - do the gears with the tires at the same time.

Yah... Remember, stock they are 4:10 so very livable.. I am driving my FJ40 around with 33's and 3:70 and it is fine.. My Trail truck is 4:10's, 36's and I have no intention of changing it.... T-Case gears are far more important in my opinion.... Rear locker does not do you much if you have to smoke your clutch to go up an obstical...

Ask Justin :)

J

Joust

Yah... Remember, stock they are 4:10 so very livable.. I am driving my FJ40 around with 33's and 3:70 and it is fine.. My Trail truck is 4:10's, 36's and I have no intention of changing it.... T-Case gears are far more important in my opinion.... Rear locker does not do you much if you have to smoke your clutch to go up an obstical...

Ask Justin :)

Ok thanks guys, I'm sold. Rear locker, stay with the 4:10s. put on the 35inchers for play time.
anybody have a spare t-case? I'll go dual tcase for playtime.
if i keep standard gears in it, i'll probably be ok.
I can upgrade to a front locker later perhaps when i do the engine swap :beer:

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Ok thanks guys, I'm sold. Rear locker, stay with the 4:10s. put on the 35inchers for play time.
anybody have a spare t-case? I'll go dual tcase for playtime.
if i keep standard gears in it, i'll probably be ok.
I can upgrade to a front locker later perhaps when i do the engine swap :beer:

Pick up that parts truck you had a line on, you will need it for steering shaft for IFS box, plus you will have extra third member and a host of other parts... Including a second t-case... Plus It will have another CV driveshaft you can modify for your truck...

J

Joust

Pick up that parts truck you had a line on, you will need it for steering shaft for IFS box, plus you will have extra third member and a host of other parts... Including a second t-case... Plus It will have another CV driveshaft you can modify for your truck...

bring round the trailer as soon as the snow clears. We'll get it. I'm excited now!
:beer::beer::beer: for you

R

Root Moose

LMK if you find somewhere local to get gas - I'm tired of going into Ottawa for it. Perth is too inconvenient for me.

R

Root Moose

Cool. Is there a TSC near Almonte - or is the closest one in Smtih Falls?

R

Root Moose

I always liked TSC. Used to visit the one in Guelph all the time when I'd go down to visit Karin when she was still in school.

I really like the idea of not having a tank rental.

R

Root Moose

The other good thing with not relying on Liquide Air is I usually run out of gas at 10:07 on a Saturday morning when they aren't open. But TSC is :)

I plan to switch over as my tanks empty. TSC is 10 minutes away!!!

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. Arnprior is a hell of lot easier than Ottawa - especially if it is open on Saturdays.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Sounds pretty good to me too.

Any up front fees, like buying a tank?

And do they have oxygen and acetylene?

R

Root Moose

Sounds liek a no brainer. IIRC $85 for the Ar through Air Liquide sounds about right.