FJ40 on UsedOttawa!

misterclean12

http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad/3478171&category=4x4-trucks

This thing was for sale this fall as well. Why is not selling? Its obviously not a proper resto, but seems like it would make a pretty decent wheeler. Since my search for a 4runner isn't going all that well, and that this is now in my $$$ range, I'm considering it.

Anyone know this truck? What should I be looking at? Any particular problems with these trucks? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Marc

K

kbrousseau

I seen that one for sale as well. Check the tub for rot. Swapping in a 350 is very common and lots of kits available to do that so that shouldn't be an issue but still worth looking over to make sure it wasn't a hack job. I also noticed it has revolver shackes on the front leafs, I don't think that is reccommended but I could be wrong.

C

Cummins Land-Rover

Cruisers are a better truck than any other wheeler in my mind. Heavier duty axles, driveline, driveshafts, etc, but not very winter friendly and very heavy. For a summer toy, definitely, but for all-season it will rust out quick and it will be cold and drafty. The 4 runners are much more civilized. What do you wnat it for?

My buddy recently bought a 1999 4 runner 4 door with a 2.7L and a rear e-locker for 8K. Truck has no rust, very clean. It's a really good start for a wheeler, the minis are so easy to build, but the cruiser already has the SFA, the big axles, the bigger diffs, etc.

misterclean12

Hey J-L, primary use would be for wheeling, but I need it to be road worthy for the cottage, camping, the usual shit. If its not capable/comfortable for winter duties, then thats ok, as I "would" winter drive the S4 if I had to. As you know, I've already got my Scirocco project, so I'm looking for something that won't require much work. I'm quite partial to convertible tops, which is why I haven't jumped on the 4runner in the classifieds(that and the IFS, of course).

Oh yeah, check your PMs dude!

Thanks.

Marc

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Fj40's are nice, but like mentioned, very heavy. Mine is 3800 Lbs with no top, doors anything....

IFS 4runners are no problem, only takes a weekend to do a solid axle swap ;) and the top comes off the back of the 1st generation 84-89.

Depends on your budget but you can pick up a decent 4runner for about 2K, $1100 for a SAS, 63" Chevy's in the rear, $300 for dual cases, 35's and your golden...