Great Deal on a killer battery

BillaVista

PrettyBoy
I am SICK of battery and electrical problems.

'Member that supposedly great battery that I ordered from the States for over $200? Piece of crap. And the company no longer makes them, or any batteries for that matter! Lesson learned!

Buster told me to go to Total Battery on Newmarket Street to get the old one tested. They tested it and the fancy computer-controlled charger. Charger is fine. Battery is junk. Under load produces less than half of rated cranking amps, even tough it shows...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

BillaVista

PrettyBoy
More pimpin'

ODYSSEY? batteries combine in one box the characteristics of two separate batteries. It can deep cycle (be recharged) as well as provide enormous cranking power.

Military Grade
Only Hawker ODYSSEY batteries are based on the same battery technology offered by Hawker to the military for aircraft and tank batteries. Odyssey batteries are of military grade and have endured rigorous tests that demonstrate their overall ruggedness and exceptional tolerance of mechanical abuse.

Superior cranking and fast charge capability
The 5 second cranking power of ODYSSEY? batteries is double to triple that of equally sized conventional batteries, even when the temperature is as low as - 40?C. Also, with simple constant voltage charging (alternator or independent charger), there is no limitation on the inrush current, so the user is assured of a fast charge.

Specifications:

SAE Group 34/78 footprint - dual purpose
Length 10.85 in.

Width 6.99 in.

Height 7.82 in.
Weight 53 lbs.
Low temperature auto/truck engine start, no metal jacket
Top tin plated brass SAE terminals and side receptacle 3/8-16UNC-2B terminals

Drycell Battery

12 Volt

62 Ah @ 10hr rate

1500 cranking amps for 5 seconds
1050 CA/MCA
1250 HCA
825 CCA
Short circuit current over 3100A

125 Minute Reserve Capacity

Cycle life @ 77?F 400 at 80% DOD

-40?F to 176?F Temperature Range

More Specs: (Adobe PDF)

Catalogue number PC1500DT

Features:

8 to 12 Year design life
Absorbent glass mat (AGM) technology

99.9% pure lead providing minimal plate corrosion

Explosion proof

Corrosion proof

2 to 3 times the cranking power of equilivant size battery

Spill and leak proof

Superior vibration resistance

Fully Charged out of the box

When fully charged can be stored for up to 2 years at 77?F

May be installed on its sides at any angle without sacrificing performance attributes

Military grade version of the Hawker Genesis

3 Year Limited Warranty

Made in the USA

Note: Please check dimensions and terminal configuration to ensure this is the proper battery for your application.

D

Dirk

Nice battery.

I have been buying batteries , work & personal use, at Total battery for years...wouldn't go anywhere else now. :)

R

Root Moose

I go to Total Battery for pretty much everything... amazing the number of UPS batteries I go through...

FWIW, lots of guys at NAXJA swear by the Odysseys. I'm going to go that route when I need to make room for the second battery and the extra belt driven compressor for OBA.

BillaVista

PrettyBoy
Is this a club rate or an off the street rate? Can others take advantage of this Great Deal?

:smokin:

Just what the dude said he'd sell it to me for - I didn't ask for a deal. In fact, it went something like this:

Me: long-winded sad story, followed by "So, can you test this"

Dude: "Sure"

test happens here

Dude: "It's toast"

Me: "Well, fuck. OK, let's talk about a replacement"

Dude: "You looking for the same kind of performance?"

Me: "Uh, no - I'd like it to last more than a year". Laughs. "But as for the specs, yea, something like that."

Dude: Laughs. Taps away at keyboard. "Well, I have this Odyssey, list for about $320, but it's on for $185."

Me: "Done!" "Got any bulk 2/0 cable?"

Dude: "Yea, $9.95 a foot."

Me: "Well, fuck"

etc.

Last edited:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Just what the dude said he'd sell it to me for - I didn't ask for a deal. In fact, it went something like this:

Me: long-winded sad story, followed by "So, can you test this"

Dude: "Sure"

test happens here

Dude: "It's toast"

Me: "Well, fuck. OK, let's talk about a replacement"

Dude: "You looking for the same kind of performance?"

Me: "Uh, no - I'd like it to last more than a year". Laughs. "But as for the specs, yea, something like that."

Dude: Laughs. Taps away at keyboard. "Well, I have this Odyssey, list for about $320, but it's on for $185."

Me: "Done!" "Got any bulk 2/0 cable?"

Dude: "Yea, $9.95 a foot."

Me: "Well, fuck"

etc.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Buster

Club Member
I am SICK of battery and electrical problems.

'Member that supposedly great battery that I ordered from the States for over $200? Piece of crap. And the company no longer makes them, or any batteries for that matter! Lesson learned!

Buster told me to go to Total Battery on Newmarket Street to get the old one tested. They tested it and the fancy computer-controlled charger. Charger is fine. Battery is junk. Under load produces less than half of rated cranking amps, even tough it shows full voltage.

Anyway, the guys there hooked me up with a killer new battery at a great price.

I finally got an Odyssey!

So I guess this means I don't need to call and ask if you found the problem:D:D

It's the PC1500/34-78DT

Specs:

Voltage: 12 V
CA: 1500 AH
CCA: 880 AH
AH: 68
Hardware: SAE Auto Post & 3/8" Side Female Terminal
Replaces: Group 34-78
Weight: 54 Lbs
Length: 10.9
Width: 7
Height: 7.8

Lists at $300 plus, I got it for $185. That's less than a Crappy Tire Optima!

4-year replacement warranty, 10 year pro-rated.

let's see if'n I can kill this one!

D

Dirk

For your 2/0 cable, check the welding supply shops. I bought a bunch last year to wire my truck for front and rear with 2/0 and 350 Amp Anderson connectors. IIRC I paid $3 something a foot, at the local welding supply. Princess also carries it though, be worth checking.

BillaVista

PrettyBoy
Dirk,

Good tip. Did that. It's $4/foot at PA.

'Course I found this out after I bought a bunch from Total Battery! Dumbass.

BillaVista

PrettyBoy

Well, I got frustrated, and when I'm frustrated I get dangerous (I mean more than normal!) so I applied my ususal frustrated shotgun approach and, as you see, got new batt and cables all in one go.

If I still have a problem I may scream - or perhaps just go out and but a new starter, alternator, battery switch, regulator, wires, electrical tape, crimp connectors, and a feather pillow.

That said - I am seriously considering re-doinf the "under dash" wiring and putting in a marine fuse box I have. I may be asking for your help with that.

(That's what you get for doing such a great job with the TBI harness!)

Let me know if / when you have any free time

Buster

Club Member
Just keep me posted on the new cable/ battery install. I'm sure the wiring is only a days work (depending of cours on how many beverages are consumed!!)

BillaVista

PrettyBoy
New battery is in with new power and ground 2/0 cables.

Loomed the entire power cabe run, kept it entirely inside this time, and secured it with cable clamps at key spots.

Crimped all the lugs in the press, and heat-shring on all ends, then elec-tape for good measure.

Everything is good and shiney and tight. 12.86 V at the battery. 12.5+ (near as I can tell on the gauge) at the dash gauge (10' away).

Will measure at main switch tomorrow. Also going to make a couple new 2/0 ground cables from engine to frame.

G

Grumpy

Member that supposedly great battery that I ordered from the States for over $200? Piece of crap. And the company no longer makes them, or any batteries for that matter! Lesson learned!

So what was the name of that POS battery you are talking about Bill.......just for reference...(and so none of us mistakenly buy the same POS)

BillaVista

PrettyBoy
It was a "Dual Pro Lightening". They are not made anymore (gee, I wonder why)

For ref., Dual-Pro are a Marine Charger company. At some point they "made" batteries (I'm guessing contracted out and put their brand on them). Now they've stopped. They are still in the marine charger business, AFAIK.

I'm still using my Dual-Pro charger on the new Odyssey. Hopefully the charger isn;t fawked and kills the new bat.

What I learned - some things are better bought locally, despite the price difference.