Hello all!

S

slamigo

Hi there,

Just introducing myself and the rig. My name is Mike and I'm married with 3 kids. We live out near Carp.
I have been building this jeep up for about 2 years now and it's nowhere near where I want it to be, but it's definitely getting closer. I don't winter drive the jeep and the plan is to begin working on a frame off restoration this winter or spring. I am sick of fighting the rust.

Here are the mods so far and also a list of things to come:

Black 89 YJ
SOA
4'' lift springs...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

G

Gadzooks

Yeppers good looking Trail truck ya got there. If you've still got those stock yj springs lying around, I'll gladly take em off yer hands. :stir:

Loco

I'd wheel it
Welcome. X3 on the nice truck. What kind of wheel flares are those? Never seen any like that before.

S

slamigo

If you've still got those stock yj springs lying around, I'll gladly take em off yer hands.

Sorry, I don't have the original springs. When I bought this rig, the previous owner had set it up for some major mall crawlin. The 4" super stiff lift springs were not my choice and they'll be available whenever I get the RE 1.5" springs, which should be next summer or fall.
The previous owner had it set up with:
SOA (5.5-6" of lift)
3" body lift
1.75" shackle lift
4" lift springs
scary booty-fab welded z-bar drag link
ridiculous stereo system with subs etc
40" TSLs on the stock axles
That was about 14.25"-14.75" of lift. :(
Here's a pic of the old steer set up:

Here's a pic of the new steer set up:

I removed the body lift, the shackle lift and it now sits on 35" tires.
I put on a Teraflex highsteer set up with custom chromoly draglink and those beefy Dodge TREs that have the same taper as the jeep ones.
I replaced the D35 (it imploded into many pieces - go figure) with a D44.
The jeep now has about 9-10" of lift. The springs are really stiff, so they can't be sagging very much either. I'll be happier once the lift is down to the 6-7" range.

S

slamigo

What kind of wheel flares are those? Never seen any like that before.

I believe they are circa 1995 Bushwacker flares. The previous owner was really good at keeping receipts and I believe he paid something like $600 for them. Yikes.
I personally can't stand the look of them. They are boxy and ugly and remind me of those late 80s renegades that had the body trim kit with all the molded plastic everywhere.
The only positive is that they keep the police from hassling me about road spray and they really cover the tires.
I'm hoping to get a set of these cut-out style flares next year. But I'm not too worried about appearances, so I'll probably put up with my boxy ones unless the cdn $ really goes up and I can get a good deal on them.