Help with my VW brakes!

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
I'm working on my rear VW MK6 (2011) brakes and can't push the piston back in. Apparently you just turn it, and I was able to turn it out, but I can't turn it in. Most people use a tool like this:

Does someone have one I can borrow this weekend? Or come over and help :eek:

Richard 613-832-1835

Last edited:

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Fixed it (VW Brakes)

It finally decided to go back in so I don't need help :D I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but this was after I removed the reservoir's cap.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Removing the cap never helped me, I ended up buying the tool kit you showed, however I got rid of it a while back. Well worth the money at the time as it made it super easy.

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
it is actually very easy using the tool shown or a similar one. One doesnt need to remove cap.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
I have always just used a big c-clamp - really, if it is too hard to push in with a c-clamp, odds are you need a new caliper anyway IMHO - Did my 3/4 ton brakes this way and sure enough, needed a passenger side caliper LOL

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
I tried a clamp first but it wouldn't budge, maybe it's the integrate e-brake that needs backing off?

If I feel like touching them again I'll get the tool.

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
I have always just used a big c-clamp - really, if it is too hard to push in with a c-clamp, odds are you need a new caliper anyway IMHO - Did my 3/4 ton brakes this way and sure enough, needed a passenger side caliper LOL
those are combination brake calipers - they also work for the e-brake. the piston can not be returned back by just pushing, it have to be turned in the same time, hence the special tool.

Ah! Makes sense now :beer:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
those are combination brake calipers - they also work for the e-brake. the piston can not be returned back by just pushing, it have to be turned in the same time, hence the special tool.

+1. I tried the big-ass c-clamp to no avail as well.

Baja

Ashlee's Honda has a similar setup. Tried the C-Clamp with no avail and then had to go the web to figure it our. Because of the intergrated e-brake it had to be "turned" back in. Made a simple tool with scraps around the shop and it has worked flawlessly since....every 40K on the fuc*ing thing - stupid Honda...

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
I used my angle grinder wrench, the two pins are just the right size and distance, though it's still a pain.