I'm a Newbie

J

Joust

Hi all,
I'm a newbie to 4x4. I have started looking for the proper platform on which to start a rig.
I am looking for a Toyota. ideally something 1985 or older so I can have a solid front axle. I'm not fussy whether its a truck or a 4runner, but if its a truck it should have a ext cab. I have an 1986 single cab which I'll either use for parts, trade or sell.
I also have a 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. This thing is too big for my tastes. I believe I will pass this rig on to someone who will...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

R

Root Moose

If I were starting from a blank sheet of paper and wanted a Toyota I'd probably take a hard look at FJ40s. A newer pickup with a front axle swap would be nice.

Otherwise Samurais and SWB Jeeps are hard to beat for a dedicated wheeling machine.

Tell me about the FSJ. :D

J

Joust

I'll consider anything at this point but sorta discounted the FJs due to cost.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
I'll consider anything at this point but sorta discounted the FJs due to cost.

Yah, FJ's are not cheap to build, and are heavy sluts :( Bullet proof though :)

Best bang for the buck is an 85 truck/4runner with 63" Chevy's in the rear and rears up front..

Next would be 86 and up with an SAS....

Cannot argue with the bang for the buck with Sami's though, but a LWB would be desirable for stability....

Adrian

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
He wants something capable that can be comfortably daily driven.

I would suggest a Toy on 33's, no more... Even IFS will be fine, something along the line of Terry's truck...

You don't need any more for all the trails around here..

R

Root Moose

I have to agree with John. The issue with early Toyotas is finding one that is rust free.

What is your budget? Can you afford ~$1k in shipping fees for "the right truck"? If I had my heart set on something that is that old and I wanted to keep the truck forever, I'd start with something off ebay from one of the southern vendors (a car dealer, not necessarily some yahoo with an ebay account).

Will you pay more? Yes, but you'll get what you want and it will be a solid place to start. It really depends on what you want. I'd do the same for FJ or whatever. My "S" is a US car and I couldn't be happier.

Of course this is not practical if you are looking at $1500 trucks. That said, I've seen $1.5k US trucks that would be worth $1k in shipping to get them up here. A really sweet MJ last fall springs to mind.

No matter what, make sure you aren't buying someone else's junk. If it doesn't drive and won't pass a safety (minimal stuff exempted) then don't bother. Buying other people's junk is false economy.

Having had a LWB Samurai on 33s as a daily driver I wouldn't want to go that route. Now a LWB TJ might be another story...

J

Joust

Thanks for the input guys.
I want a 1987 or older (to avoid E-testing) :glasses:
IFS sounds ok now that I've seen one in action with a bit of a lift but if i can find an '85 with a solid front axle, then all the better.
I was chatting with a guy in Smith Falls that had an 85 4runner that had a 7M engine swapped in but some schmuck bought it out from under me.
Adrian pointed me at a guy that has an '85 4runner. He has done a bunch of body work with fiberglass and bondo. its looks good from the pictures but i'd have to look underneath to see how it looks there. I'll be needing to buy a mig....This truck is out in Buckingham. anybody want to come check it out with me?
I'll drive. :)

plans for the future:
I am looking into changing the engine to a 1UZ (Lexus V8). but not right at first. I'd collect all the bits I need to do that swap. OR...I have a 7mGTE (I6 ) in my garage that I'd have to track down a knock source. That might be an easier swap.

So what does LWB mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Root Moose

So what does LWB mean?

Long wheelbase. :D

1UZ in anything is pretty damn sweet.

I'm not up on the Toy mini-trucks but isn't a solid axle swap on the newer(ish)trucks pretty much a simple build or pick from ten suppliers kinda thing?

I just hate doing bodywork and would do anything to avoid it I guess. LOL

C

Cummins Land-Rover

Come Awwwwn !

Get it!

If the FSJ is a woodie I might take it on partial trade :D

Seriously, look at the cruiser wagons. Bang for the buck, they are best. You can keep 99% of the stock driveline components and beat the snot out of it and they will hold up. A set of 30 spline longs and some 35s and you can beat on it all you want. The R&Ps are a lot stronger than minitruck stuff.

C

Cummins Land-Rover

Just don't put chains on the tires;)

:smokin:

On what? The FSJ, the Cruiser or my Land-Rover?

A woodie FSJ on chains... All I need is an orange hat and a flannel jacket :smokin: