Importing a buggy from the US: What constitutes a vehicle?

T

Ton_O_fun

Hey, does anyone have experience with this?
I'm looking at a buggy with no title, but because its a vehicle, Canada border services wants to see registration and a title....which the owner obviously doesnt have....

At one point does the vehicle not constitute a vehicle? If the motor is pulled, is it considered just a pile of car parts?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks
Richard

T

Ton_O_fun

I talked to someone else, and they said as long as the motor is pulled, its fine. Its a 'rolling chassis' and the bill of sale becomes the title or legal ownership. Apparently its how people buy race cars from the US and bring them up...I hope this works!

S

SuziCrazy

I also heard that if you pull the drive line it is considered a pile-o-parts... Given that it's a buggy, and not an "official vehicle" with a VIN#

C

Cummins Land-Rover

Guys,

If it is a buggy and has no road equipment it could probably be imported as a 'competition vehicle'. If it has roadway lighting or is otherwise designed for use on roads (truggy for example) it would be very difficult to import. People bring in dune buggies all the time with no issues, this is basically the same thing.

Pulling the engine doesn't do a darn thing- It's still a car/truck/boat/tank/etc regardles of if it moves under its own power or not.

T

Ton_O_fun

After playing phone tag with border services quite a few times, I've figure out that if I buy it 'for parts' I won't have a problem either. Even talked to the specific traffic people at the crossing I'll be going to and they said it shouldnt be a problem.

Here's the vehicle in question...I basicall am buying it for parts anyway.
It was based on an old jimmy, but there's not much left of the body, no lights...
I'll get some pics.

View attachment 123

View attachment 124[/ATTACH]

Last edited: