Leaving for colorado/utah (moab) sept 30. Feel free to join.

Djtc

Hi guys/girls,

If anybody is interested, I'll be leaving for colorado and utah sept 30 for some back country camping and wheeling. I should be back in ottawa by oct 20.

Feel free to join if you like! As of now i'll be doing it solo and meeting a group in Moab on oct 8.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
I've been to Moab twice and it's a great area to visit and wheel. I do plan on going again some day, but don't think I can make it this soon.

Enjoy.

Djtc

Im really hoping that the high mountain passes are not snow covered by then. Really looking forward to doing black bear pass and a few others that are on my list.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Im really hoping that the high mountain passes are not snow covered by then. Really looking forward to doing black bear pass and a few others that are on my list.

One of the scariest moments was towing the Jeep over the Colorado mountains in a snowstorm with worn out tires on the p/u. After coming down we stopped at the first place we could find in Boulder, I don't think I've ever been so happy to stop at a McDonalds!

Djtc

Black bear pass has those drop offs including very tight switchbacks.independance pass looks to be paved?

trixter192

Club Member
Indeed it is paved.

"The highest elevation of a paved Colorado state highway on a through road"

Djtc

back home BOOOOO. The trip was amazing! Undecided if I enjoyed the San Juan range in Colorado more than Moab... Overall no major damage on the truck while performing flawlessly.

Oh and Hells Gate is really not as bad as people make it out to be.

Little picture from California Pass.

Last edited:

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Welcome back, glad you enjoyed it.

I'm sure Hells Gate would have felt different if you were in a tall, short wheel base rig. I saw it when I was there and I was fine keeping my tall Jeep off it ;)

Djtc

I was running with a lifted tj rubicon and he walked up easily. It's all about the line you take on hells gate. Different lines for different wheelbases