Like To Join you Guys in Carp August 16

K

Kenny245

Read the mandatory items list and off to Princess Auto later today. Any suggestions for the hooks, Jack and Tow Strap?

S

snippy

I just use a trailer hitch with the ball removed for the rear tow point, and a d-ring shackle, until my new rear bumper comes in October.

Tow points are *the* most important thing you'll need. Make sure your tow strap is ~30', 20' never seems to cover the distance.

Hi-Lift jacks have a variety of uses, but aren't required, and you also need to consider your mounting options and lift points.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
All you need is front tow points for this run, someone else will lend a strap if it's needed. Hi-lift jacks aren't required often so don't worry about it for now.

K

Kenny245

Thanks

Went to Princess Auto found 10,000lb tow hooks, a receiver for my trailer hitch with a big round ring on the end and tow straps. I assume the hooks should be attached (bolt or weld ?) to the frame in the front.

As for the high lift jack, would like to see examples at the run.

Where can I get more info about the August 16 Carp Run, do I need to pre register with anyone or where is the meeting point and time?

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Where can I get more info about the August 16 Carp Run, do I need to pre register with anyone or where is the meeting point and time?

More information about the Carp run (meeting locations and departure times) will be posted by the trail leader (Mitko) in the Events / Trail Runs section the week prior to the run.

Pre-registration is not required per say, just a simple post in the thread saying you are coming and which location you will be meeting the group.

S

snippy

a receiver for my trailer hitch with a big round ring on the end

I saw those at PA, and considered them. The only problem I had is from what I remember, they're too thick to take most winch hooks and shackles aren't they? Or do they have a smaller size?

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
I saw those at PA, and considered them. The only problem I had is from what I remember, they're too thick to take most winch hooks and shackles aren't they? Or do they have a smaller size?

I got one too, it probably is too big for standard winch hooks, but as for shackles you can get bigger ones.

The preferred method to attach tow hooks is bolting as welding is very difficult and likely to be weak. For location we need to know what truck you have?

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
I got one too, it probably is too big for standard winch hooks, but as for shackles you can get bigger ones.
If PA did not change the design they fit good on a standart winch hook. I had 2 of them on my FJ40, remember?

For location we need to know what truck you have?
AFAI remember he is driving '01 Dodge Ram. If the memory serves me good they have a good factory tow point in the front, but might be wrong. Kenny245 you better wait until we met for the run and then you will receive a a lot of priceless advices :). Bring your own tow strap and in the worst case we will hook it up to the axle as we did for Jen's furst run.

K

Kenny245

Thanks for the tips

I will crawl under today and take a look under the front end. I think I saw a front mount receiver on ebay with a winch plate. Any suggestions?

For the Carp run I guess I will bring a Tow Strap and and ring for the rear receiver, would this be OK?

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I am planing on going but I have hit a snag, I am getting a d-ring that fits in my hidden hitch receiver but I can't get the hitch ball out. The pin appears to be stuck. PB Blaster, hitting it with a hammer and heating it didn't do anything. Any ideas? Should I still go? Also where do we meet and what time?

S

snippy

I am planing on going but I have hit a snag, I am getting a d-ring that fits in my hidden hitch receiver but I can't get the hitch ball out. The pin appears to be stuck. PB Blaster, hitting it with a hammer and heating it didn't do anything. Any ideas? Should I still go? Also where do we meet and what time?

We ended up using a 3' pipe wrench and a vice getting mine out. Worst case scenario you get stuck, and I or someone else just pulls theirs out and use you it.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
We ended up using a 3' pipe wrench and a vice getting mine out. Worst case scenario you get stuck, and I or someone else just pulls theirs out and use you it.

Just leave the draw bar in the hitch and remove the ball. Then we can hook a shackle to the draw bar with a strap. That is...IF you get stuck ;-)

Ok. I will see if I can get the ball off and leave the rest. Looking at how stubborn this jeep is, that will be a test in itself.
:)

So where are we supposed to meet and what time? Also how long does it usually take to do this trail?

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Well I got the ball off the hitch and left the draw bar in. Is it weird that when I did that and though of a d-ring in it, I thought "hmm my jeep will have a Prince Albert" ?