lockright part# 1610 for toyota

Z

zuk4life

Fits 1969-1995, Toyota 8" ring gear
"Powertrax" lockers will give you straight line performance that is equal to a solid spool yet it will automatically unlock to allow full differential effect in turns. "Powertrax" lockers also make less noise, reduce tire wear and driveline damage. You can replace your present spider gears with a "Powertrax" locker in your differential carrier without changing your ring and pinion settings and the entire job can be performed in your driveway with basic...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
B

brookmillerlee

Sorry to correct you here, but Totally not true about installing the locker in the driveway. The axles have to come out, entire third member has to be pulled, and the ring gear has to come off in order to slip the locker parts into the differential housing, then the backlash has to be re-set (measure before disassembly) then re-install. Looks like you copied and pasted from the powertrax website. That instruction refers to Jeeps, and in their case is accurate on most heep axles, but not toyota!

B

brookmillerlee

Also requires some specific tools (plunger gauge to measure backlash, and torque wrench for all bolts and carrier bearing pre-load)

szabotage

you only have to set the backlash if you remove the ring gear bearing caps improperly (by bearing caps, I'm talking about the 'U' shaped things that are held down by 2 big bolts). when pulling them off, be sure to pull off the circular part (the part with threads you turn to set the ring gears side to side location) and make sure not to let it fall out of it's threads. when assembling, make sure it falls into its original thread on the basket end.

if you fail to do so, then you will have to reset the backlash when assembling. I've done this to both suzuki, and toyota thirds and never had an issue.

Z

zuk4life

i think 98% of us in the ottawa valley have taken on much more then pulling the 3rd member out of a axle in are driveways there is no special tools needed other then a torque wrench if you don't have one i will lend you one . total install time would be 2.5-3 h for someone with very little skill and hand tools if you ask anyone who has one that drives on the street they will tell you how good of a product it is.ive had one in my suzuki for 4 years and its still running strong after 100000km on it. it if you don't have or want to spend the money for a selectable locker this is a very good product because it was desined to have no gear set up.ie u can do it in your driveway.

B

brookmillerlee

Anyone who is interested in how this locker should be properly installed, check out www.gearinstalls.com Zuk knows his stuff and I used that site as a reference for doing my gears and locker install myself. No argument that the powertrax locker is a good product either. But it is harder to install than you make it sound. I have a plunger gauge and a torque wrench, and will gladly help anyone who wants it, in installing their locker in the toyota third member.