Looking for Samurai info

trukie

Zooklounge Crawler
Club Member
Hello All,

I've got the itch to start building my fleet of vechicles and am considering a Samurai to build-up and play with. I am just wondering what problem areas to look for when I go to look at some. The wife even gave me the Ok to pick up another vechicle, guess she doesn't want to see my Rubi get too beaten yet.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jamie:beer::stir::beer:

Jimbog

Club Member
Sure beat up a Sammy but not a Ruby, pick on the little kid from Japan. lol Just kidding. To me the biggest problem with the Sammy is the axles, expecially the front birfields, Thats where the big kid from Japan comes to the rescue, the most common upgrade is to Toyota Axles. Otherwise I have had no problems with motor,tranny or transfer case. Lots of aftermarket parts available for these little machines. I have had mine since 1987. Its a 1981 lj80, well thats what the ownership says, it has changed quite a bit over the years.

S

SuziCrazy

Besides rust and rot, I agree with Jim anything bigger than 33's you'll need some kind of axle upgrade (or anything over 31's if you drive like Jim!). Great little rigs, small, light weight, and easy to build. Another HUGE advantage is there's lots of OVO members that have many years experience building these little monsters. Let us know what you find (year, style ect..) and we'll let you know the advantages/dis-advantages for each one.

G

Gadzooks

Yepp lots of Sammi's round these parts. Your main problem when truck hunting will be rust. Best of luck finding one with minimal rust. I'd suggest getting one that hasn't been wheeled or built up already, try to find a stock samurai, in the best condition you can. Windshield frames tend to rust out, and are hard to find. Check the body mounts as well when you are looking, ensure they are all intact and not rusting through the frame or falling apart. Other than that it can all be repaired, built on, or swapped out.

trukie

Zooklounge Crawler
Club Member
Thanks everyone

Just wanted to thank everyone for the info. If you know of any for sale around here please let me know. Seems to be alot around the Toronto area.

Cheers Jamie:beer:

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Might want to msg Scott (ZookLounge) about it. Don't think he has any right now but can usually find them when someone is looking.

G

Gadzooks

Might want to msg Scott (ZookLounge) about it. Don't think he has any right now but can usually find them when someone is looking.

I second that thought, get ahold of the Zooklounge he will find what you need.

S

SWest

No beating up...

I remember having to pull out a Rubi in Chertsey. :) Rust is a big problem like floors and winshield frames. And as The big boss said if it looks to good be careful. Might end up getting a bondo buggy like mine! Then the only problem is Birf's and axle weakness. Just stay at 33 's or 32's. I dont see any other problems. The samurai was made in replica to god. :)

Last edited:

trukie

Zooklounge Crawler
Club Member
Got One

Well I got myself a Sami. Long drive to Parry Sound to get it - worth the drive, the body is in great shape. Now to go over it with a fine tooth comb and fix it up so I can wheel it. Probably will be bugging you all with lots of questions (My first Sami :D LOL). Glad Santa sent me to get it.

And to give you a laugh - don't try to tow one backwards on a two wheel car dolly - Death Wobble at 50km/h, thought I was going to fill my pants:eek:.

Cheers Jamie:beer:

trukie

Zooklounge Crawler
Club Member
You a correct,

I did flip it and face it forwards and removed the driveshaft. The rear axle needs new bearings, that is why I tried it backwards - Guess I must have had a Brain Fart the bearings need done anyways:lmao:

Jamie

misterclean12

I'm guessing it's the orange sami that was on zookpower. If so, looks like you got a good deal(How much did you get it for if you don't mind?). I'd been eyeing it for a while, but I just couldn't buy something so small at the moment.

Anyways... Congrats!!!

S

SWest

towing

Congrats on the purchase!! It will be good to to you for many years!