Looking for shop to narrow axles.

D

Daeo

Hello, I want to put Dana 30 and Dana 35 axles from an XJ under my CJ3A but they are too wide. I chose those axles cause they are cheap and plentiful and the Dana 30 has disk brakes and will be easier to add power steering. Id like to know how much it would be to narrow them so they are stock width like the original Dana 25 and Dana 41 that I have right now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Hello, I want to put Dana 30 and Dana 35 axles from an XJ under my CJ3A but they are too wide. I chose those axles cause they are cheap and plentiful and the Dana 30 has disk brakes and will be easier to add power steering. Id like to know how much it would be to narrow them so they are stock width like the original Dana 25 and Dana 41 that I have right now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Likely won't be cheap as there aren't a whole lot of shaft length options for either. I'd highly suggest a Ford 8.8 over the D35. Still cheap, but a better axle and matches the 5x4.5 bolt pattern on the D30. Or the Chryo 8 3/4 out of a Cherokee if you want a single donor.

For shops, Rockspyder was the closest local option, although Mike Lorient (@mlorient on here) should be able to do the housings as well. Shafts, I'd pay for RCV's up front if you're custom anyway, and Currie/Foote/Dutchman for the rear? That one will be trickier.

Might be cheaper/easier for a complete custom setup from Currie/Solid/etc.

EDIT:

Oh, and the D30 from a later CJ7 would already have disc brakes, and the AMC20 is a decent rear axle if you get 1-piece shafts. I've got a set of 4.88 gears and install kit (BNIB) for the 20 if you do decide to go that way.

Last edited:

Function > Form

Club Member
Likely won't be cheap as there aren't a whole lot of shaft length options for either. I'd highly suggest a Ford 8.8 over the D35. Still cheap, but a better axle and matches the 5x4.5 bolt pattern on the D30. Or the Chryo 8 3/4 out of a Cherokee if you want a single donor.

For shops, Rockspyder was the closest local option, although Mike Lorient (@mlorient on here) should be able to do the housings as well. Shafts, I'd pay for RCV's up front if you're custom anyway, and Currie/Foote/Dutchman for the rear? That one will be trickier.

Might be cheaper/easier for a complete custom setup from Currie/Solid/etc.

EDIT:

Oh, and the D30 from a later CJ7 would already have disc brakes, and the AMC20 is a decent rear axle if you get 1-piece shafts. I've got a set of 4.88 gears and install kit (BNIB) for the 20 if you do decide to go that way.

it's [MENTION=62]Mlorint[/MENTION]

also, most early libertys have the Chrysler 8.25 in the rear (I think that's what you meant isn't it?) and many would have less miles on them than xjs

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
it's [MENTION=62]Mlorint[/MENTION]

also, most early libertys have the Chrysler 8.25 in the rear (I think that's what you meant isn't it?) and many would have less miles on them than xjs

And that's why I don't identify as a Jeep guy. I think there is an 8 3/4 in the trucks, as well as a 9 1/4, but it's been a loooooong time since I've had a real Dodge truck in the yard. I presumed he was looking at a cheap XJ donor to buy (not uncommon for a couple of hundred bucks), so both axles from the same rig.