Moving to Ottawa to explore this beautiful country

R

radiohasis

Hello, Im moving in summer to Canada - Ottawa for 4years and would love to see most out of this country. It seams that for this plans I have 4x4 car would be the best optition. Also would love to go most of the free time to camp in the nature. I would love to get some advices about what car would be best for my needs. Im thinking about Pickup truck like Dodge Ram 1500 or Ford F-150 or jeep Rubicon. I would love to invest savings in to the car to mod it for wilderness in Canada and to be in...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

trixter192

Club Member
Welcome Radek. The Rubicon would be the most popular choice for guys like us because of its favourable solid front axle and lockers. I would love to see more regular cab Short box pickups though. The longer pickups are a bit difficult in our tight trails.

R

radiohasis

Welcome Radek. The Rubicon would be the most popular choice for guys like us because of its favourable solid front axle and lockers. I would love to see more regular cab Short box pickups though. The longer pickups are a bit difficult in our tight trails.

Thank you for your reply. I understand that Rubicon is better for the trails but is it better on payment road or on long distance rides cross country trips? I would like something that is comfortable but can do hard job in terrain.

Djtc

Thank you for your reply. I understand that Rubicon is better for the trails but is it better on payment road or on long distance rides cross country trips? I would like something that is comfortable but can do hard job in terrain.

You ll need a Toyota for that ;)

R

radiohasis

You ll need a Toyota for that ;)

Thanks for your advise. Im using in my curent job in Syria armored Toyota Landcruiser and like that car but it is litle bit over my budget. I was thinking also about landrover sport but then I would be worried about any scratches and not much to mod on these cars. I would like to own reather something like this https://cdn.rubitrux.com/media/cata...dal-rock-krawler-40s-driver-three-quarter.jpg
or this
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...t3yt98R4cy1mK3GDuC0IjqNA&ust=1483622189001043

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member

Longer pickups just require more commitment to possible body damage. Replace the bed with a tubed out bed, and you'll be fine. Personally, I'd go extended cab/short box first as I like more interior room, and would be okay bashing up the body on a wheeler rig.

As for a JKUR and cross country trips, talk to Terry ( [MENTION=3]Twinkie[/MENTION] ).

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Well, the Rubi you posted is heavily modified, what is your budget? A 2015 will probably run around $35,000, and then add another 15-20,000 in modifications (to make it like the one you linked). Depending on your level of experience, and willingness to bang up the body, it would be capable for any trail in that level of build.

If you are just doing back roads and forest access roads, you don't need to go to that extreme. Mine is on 35's, with lockers and a little trail armor (not to be confused with bullet armor!!!) and can do 95% of the trails we have, more if you're willing to risk body damage (which I am not willing to do yet).

Cross country trips....the Wrangler line is not the most comfortable to drive for long periods, but that being said we have driven ours to Nashville and back, which is around 5000 Km round trip. Fuel mileage is not the greatest, ours gets around 15L/100KM the way it sits today.

Stay away from fullsize if you plan to run any trails, they are just too big. But if you are staying on forest access roads, full size is fine and over you a lot or cargo capacity. When we do our 3 day "overland" trip, carying 2 adults, 2 dogs, and all of our camping gear, we are packed to the roof in the Rubi, but we also don't pack lightly.

If you have an specific questions about the Rubi, let me know.

R

radiohasis

Thanks for your reply. So i now know that longer car is not good idea. My budget is around 70k. I'm divorcing and would like to put my saving in something that will make me happy and will be just my. Since I was working in Israel, Afghanistan, Syria I love military survival look and would like to not only look nice but to know it can do more than it looks. The Rubi have some very nice mods but want it also street legal :-D that I can drive it every day to work or for shopping. I can take bike with me and will fit all the supply's that I need to survive in wilderness with comfort of cold beer for me and my friends :)

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Well, if you are going to build, or have built, something like the picture, *don't* buy a Rubicon. Just go with a standard 4 door Wrangler JK, 2012 or newer (so you have the Pentastar engine), then spend the money on your upgrades. If you are building something that big, you won't want the Rubicon axles, they are marginally stronger then the stock Wrangler axle. Build it like the picture and be done with it.

As for being street legal, that is a fine line these days here in Ontario. I'm not sure where you plan to move to, I would assume the Ottawa, Ontario area since this is the base area of our club, but maybe not. Remember, Canada is a VERY large country, it would take around 90 hours of driving (straight, no breaks) to drive from coast to coast. And each province has different rules when licensing a vehicle.

R

radiohasis

Well, if you are going to build, or have built, something like the picture, *don't* buy a Rubicon. Just go with a standard 4 door Wrangler JK, 2012 or newer (so you have the Pentastar engine), then spend the money on your upgrades. If you are building something that big, you won't want the Rubicon axles, they are marginally stronger then the stock Wrangler axle. Build it like the picture and be done with it.

As for being street legal, that is a fine line these days here in Ontario. I'm not sure where you plan to move to, I would assume the Ottawa, Ontario area since this is the base area of our club, but maybe not. Remember, Canada is a VERY large country, it would take around 90 hours of driving (straight, no breaks) to drive from coast to coast. And each province has different rules when licensing a vehicle.

And why to buy old one? I have a problem finding some good jeep oleder with low km. I dont want to buy something that will need to be always in service.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
It's a bit of a waste buying something 2 years old, with warranty, when you will be ripping most of it out and replacing with bigger, stronger stuff, which will en-turn void said warranty.

As long as it's 2012+ you have the benefit of the newer motor, but newer is better I guess.

brylade

Hey,

I'm selling my 02 TJ 4.0 on 36"s if you are interested. PM me and I'll send you the details. I'm sure there are quite a few people on the forums can back me up when I say it will go anywhere you want.

Function > Form

Club Member
Why not buy a G-wagen - 70k is a solid budget to start with and the G is a nice ride. However, Gs are not for everyone, but they certainly have that 'military' look that you may like. Smooth and powerful on the highway too...although I'm not familiar with modded ones or how much it might take to get big tires under them.

Paging [MENTION=28]Mitko[/MENTION] ...