New member with a KJ, yes KJ aka only a Liberty

Function > Form

Club Member
Hey all,

Looks like you all have some pretty serious rigs around here.

I just picked up a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4. Nice little truck.

Long story, but I used to have a WRX. It got fast...and expensive. Ended up with coilovers, a bigger turbo, STi injectors, STi intercooler, etc. Broke a couple transmissions...sigh. When it worked it was a beautifully fast and fun machine. Took it to Bogie for a track event which was a RIOT. But the expenses got old, so I sold it and bought a...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
welcome!
I have one but I don't wheel it. I had to replace one CV on my front driveshaft this year. the biggest annoyance has been the emergency brakes wear out fast. I have had it since 2006 and replaced the pads 3 times. the clearance on it is crap as well. wife and I took it to the clearing on Carp Trail for a walk and banged the crap out of it. I think the reason you don't see anyone wheeling them is they are pricey to modify and the IFS is a huge detractor but I have seen one guy do a Solid front axle on one.

Last edited:

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Welcome to OVO. Come on out to a meeting and keep an eye on the events section for trail runs.

Function > Form

Club Member
Thanks for the warm welcome all.

welcome!
I have one but I don't wheel it. I had to replace one CV on my front driveshaft this year. the biggest annoyance has been the emergency brakes wear out fast. I have had it since 2006 and replaced the pads 3 times. the clearance on it is crap as well. wife and I took it to the clearing on Carp Trail for a walk and banged the crap out of it. I think the reason you don't see anyone wheeling them is they are pricey to modify and the IFS is a huge detractor but I have seen one guy do a Solid front axle on one.

I'm not too worried about a couple dings here and there but I really didn't buy it as a crawler anyhow, more as something that can get me through brutal winter conditions, some minor water crossings, some mud. It's a fair bit taller than the Outback would have been with a horrible lift (bad cv angles), not to mention more room for decent AT tires, cheaper for parts and tons more power. To me, it's just fine for light off roading, I just don't know where to go. Yeah, I've seen a couple [edit: SFA] set ups and the cost is ridonkulous. I can't see how anyone can justify it, but hey some people want something that no one else has!

Hmmmm...I don't even use my parking brake. I'll keep an eye on it.

What is this clearing that you speak of?

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Thanks for the warm welcome all.

I'm not too worried about a couple dings here and there but I really didn't buy it as a crawler anyhow, more as something that can get me through brutal winter conditions, some minor water crossings, some mud. It's a fair bit taller than the Outback would have been with a horrible lift (bad cv angles), not to mention more room for decent AT tires, cheaper for parts and tons more power. To me, it's just fine for light off roading, I just don't know where to go. Yeah, I've seen a couple IFS set ups and the cost is ridonkulous. I can't see how anyone can justify it, but hey some people want something that no one else has!

Hmmmm...I don't even use my parking brake. I'll keep an eye on it.

What is this clearing that you speak of?
It's great in winter. One of the local trails has a spot (it is literally 90 seconds in) right before you turn off for it and anyone who has driven it knows where I am talking. At that point it is considered an unmaintained road. I kept bashing the crossmember at the front wheels. That is the lowest spot on it.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
It's great in winter. One of the local trails has a spot (it is literally 90 seconds in) right before you turn off for it and anyone who has driven it knows where I am talking. At that point it is considered an unmaintained road. I kept bashing the crossmember at the front wheels. That is the lowest spot on it.

Seriously? I think my Jetta would have made it that far without banging around. <insert broken CJ jokes here>

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Seriously, it's that one crossmember, Other than that you got oodles of clearance (for a grocery getter)

junkpile

There are a few lifted libertys running around ottawa. You can do a 1.5" or 2" budget spacer lift for a little extra clearance, build yourself a descent skid plate for peace of mind and go have some fun! That 3.7/auto/np231 in low is sufficiently torquey to have some fun with it especially with a limited slip in that rear 8" 1/4 (if it's still functional)

Function > Form

Club Member
Yeah if it's that Xmemb that gets whacked all the time, maybe I'll build a plate for it, good suggestion. Gotta use that welder sometime. :glasses: I thought about doing a BB, pretty affordable lift at ~$300.

Damn thing drinks gas like crazy, thought it would be a good idea to get a gas can/holder too. Any restrictions in ON to carrying an external gas can on public roads????

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Damn thing drinks gas like crazy, thought it would be a good idea to get a gas can/holder too. Any restrictions in ON to carrying an external gas can on public roads????

Proper colour coding is one that I have heard of (red for gas,yellow for diesel,etc). I remember a post about someone with a flatfender being pulled over for having the olive drab container. I'd suggest a quick call to the MTO and/or local fire department for real answers though.

Function > Form

Club Member
Thanks guys. Was considering an olive one, but will check with MTO since I'll be there anyhow to figure out how to e-test my Miata that's currently in storage.... doh!

trixter192

Club Member
Thanks guys. Was considering an olive one, but will check with MTO since I'll be there anyhow to figure out how to e-test my Miata that's currently in storage.... doh!

Keep me updated. I carry a green one with a red strap on the roof all summer. I know at the gas stations, they list all the required certifications, and this one falls under Canadian military spec (or something).

Function > Form

Club Member
Keep me updated. I carry a green one with a red strap on the roof all summer. I know at the gas stations, they list all the required certifications, and this one falls under Canadian military spec (or something).

Will do. Haven't been yet, but will post up when I have info to share.

Here's a pic for all to enjoy. A KJ 'flexin' as much as she can with her only solid axle. lol
-it was on a giant hunk of ice that fell off the roof...damn badly insulated old house.

5vvjft.jpg