Offroading GPS

Minion

My birthday is coming up soon and one of the things I have been thinking about getting is GPS for the Ranger. I'm looking for advice on brands or units or even specific features to look for or stay away from.

Much appreciated.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
For a dedicated GPS I'd only look at Garmin. John Farley and I both had a high end Magellan for a few months back in '07, and they were unreliable and difficult to use; I filled two pages with issues before I sold it.
I've been using a Garmin 60CSx for 10 years now and it's been great. I used on for the last two expeditions to save a track for both days and the topo maps had most of the trails on it. I also have street maps and it's quite good for navigation. The add-on maps also come with PC software so you can view and save your tracks and waypoints on it.
A good antenna and receiver is a must for when we're under trees or between hills (I would imagine all Garmins have this?); this can make a big difference compared to using a phone or tablet.

trixter192

Club Member
Backcountry Navigator works just fine. GPS reception varies from one device to another, as well as mounting.

Function > Form

Club Member
x3 for a tablet and Backcountry Navigator - never had a major issue with reception using a Lenovo Tab A2 (no cell access, only GPS).

We have ours mounted with a PA surplus section suction cup/tablet mount that was only about 10 bucks. You can go all out and get a RAM mount, but I didn't want to splurge. The cheap one works fine for us.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
x4, running on the phone & tablet at the same time during the expedition. Phone for realtime, tablet tracking the whole day. Yes, I have a problem.