Ottawa newb

C

cj-taco

Hi all,

New to the group. Just recently picked up an 09 Tacoma. Soon time for a lift install. Any fast, cheap shop suggestions?

Thanks,

cj

D

Dirk

Welcome to the forum.

As far as lift goes, what are your parameters? Budget, mechanical/fab ability, road vs offroad performance, tire size you're building for, etc...

D

DoctorPhate

I've had good experience with Ali at Spark Auto in downtown off nelson. good guy and good prices. tell him Jonathan sent you.

C

cj-taco

On-road performance is important as this is my daily driver, but I still want something that'll look good and pound some mud on weekends. I'm probably just going to go for coilovers in the front an add a leaf to the rear (unless I really cheap out and go for spacers). Already have 32" MT's. Mechanical ability is near nonexistant, so I'll just need to find a decent shop to do the install and alignment.

D

DoctorPhate

As I said, Ali is who I deal with when I have to get something more difficult done. Otherwise I do everything myself.

I'd suggest COILS not Coil overs.. not sure what the taco has stock but I assume its not coil overs lol.

Stay away from AAL if you can, get a full leaf pack or shackles.

Better yet, come by my place and me and my sawzall will give you some extra tire clearence ... sans a lift.. lol

Edit: by more difficult i mean I need better tools or a lift

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
On-road performance is important as this is my daily driver, but I still want something that'll look good and pound some mud on weekends. I'm probably just going to go for coilovers in the front an add a leaf to the rear (unless I really cheap out and go for spacers). Already have 32" MT's. Mechanical ability is near nonexistant, so I'll just need to find a decent shop to do the install and alignment.

I'm not too familiar with the Taco, but if the lift is minimal, and doesn't involve anything more than swapping coil overs, it would be an easier job to tackle. If you did decide to try yourself, there are a few club members who I'm sure would be willing to help out.

Add-a-leaves aren't the best option as they increase spring rate and stiffen up the ride (especially in a lightly loaded rear like a truck), but I'd still say they are better than blocks. Depending on the height, a shackle lift might also be something to look into.

And welcome :beer:

D

DoctorPhate

I wasn't aware they used coilovers in the taco. But yeah if its coil overs just swap the whole thing. Should be pretty easy job.

Anything before Sept 28th on a weekend I could come by for a few hours to help out.

C

cj-taco

Thanks for the welcomes and replies. Lift installed today. Big thanks to Mitko. That guy means business...called him this am, got me in by 1pm. I'll get a pic up when I have the chance.

C

cj-taco

Thanks for the welcomes and replies. Lift installed today. Big thanks to Mitko. That guy means business...called him this am, got me in by 1pm. I'll get a pic up when I have the chance.

Here she is.