Overlanders??

badcompany

Club Member
I know this is the wrong place for this thread but there was not a right place for it.
Question? is there any "overlanders" on hear. If so is there any trips planned of does anyone want to plan one?

BTW I'm just getting back from completing the "big empty" route found on "Gravel Travel" web site it was good but I can forsee problems If i keep doing trips like this on my own.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
[MENTION=3]Twinkie[/MENTION] and [MENTION=557]BuBBaBO[/MENTION] would be the two I could think of.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Ummm, you are involved in our Expedition 2019 trip, that's our Overlanding trip for the year. Besides Mike & I, you won't find much interest in our club for overlanding. For like minded travel, especially if you're really going to get in to it, join Ontario Overland on Facebook, and OverlandBound as well.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Much of the same terrain you saw in The Big Empty is what you'll see in Swisha.

badcompany

Club Member
Is there any interest in planning an overland style trip to the states somewhere or going west for 2020?

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
My 2020 is booked for any long trips (not off-roading) so if anyone else wants to take up the plight, feel free.

bzzr2

I am open to overland style exploring trips if they're planned when my schedule permits! Would have enjoyed the Swisha last season but wasn't paying attention to events :-( New rig again... Gladiator this time, best of all worlds in one pricey package.

badcompany

Club Member
So if anyone is interested:

Leaving Toronto on Tuesday May 12th
Hopfully arriving in Arizona on Friday in time for overland west.

spending the weekend there and heading to Moab after that.
like to be home by Tuesday 26th

that is 2 weeks of Expo, Moab and some exploring

If anyone is interested, come....

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
I am open to overland style exploring trips if they're planned when my schedule permits! Would have enjoyed the Swisha last season but wasn't paying attention to events :-( New rig again... Gladiator this time, best of all worlds in one pricey package.
Jealous.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
So if anyone is interested:

Leaving Toronto on Tuesday May 12th
Hopfully arriving in Arizona on Friday in time for overland west.

spending the weekend there and heading to Moab after that.
like to be home by Tuesday 26th

that is 2 weeks of Expo, Moab and some exploring

If anyone is interested, come....
Whoa, that's a big road trip to do in 12 days!

badcompany

Club Member
you may be right but let me see...
12,13,14 drive to Arizona
15,16,17 spend time at the expo
monday 18th to Sat. 23 go to moab and grand canyon
sunday 24, 25 and 26 be back home..

that is exactly 2 weeks I think you right I may need a couple more days
i want at least 1 day on the TAT either going or coming back home

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Epic road trip, but going to Overland East would be closer. LoL Mind you, then you don't get Moab either.

badcompany

Club Member
Yea I know but like you said Moab. Been planning that with Jaffo for over 15 years and never happened...

Last year was epic for me crossing Labrador.. so the bar is set pretty high, lets see if this trip can top that one..

I'm hoping to get some to come along, I've posted on Jeepcentral and on Overland bound and Tacomaworld but no takers as of yet.

Just like 2019 I might be solo over landing which what I'm becoming used too...

bzzr2

It was somewhat impulsive... i have to say that it drives incredibly nice. The new JL front with the Ram rear and loooong wheelbase make for a nice ride. I added a little JKS 3.5 inch lift with Fox shocks and some girly 34's also.

Last edited:

bzzr2

I would like to hit the VMUTS (Voyageur Multi Use Trail System) near Mattawa for a wknd this yr. Might make for a nice wknd of camping, exploring and moderate wheeling.

Have any of you completed the Trans Taiga road? It is on my list.

There has been a bit of talk about the Trans Lab late August also, but this is more of a road trip. Completing this will complete my Canadian Provinces and Territories by vehicle.

I shared this with Terry a couple years back.... This was my Northern/Western trip in 2014;

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/northern-ontario-to-inuvik-solo-ride-on-now.129343/

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
I would like to hit the VMUTS (Voyageur Multi Use Trail System) near Mattawa for a wknd this yr. Might make for a nice wknd of camping, exploring and moderate wheeling.

Have any of you completed the Trans Taiga road? It is on my list.

There has been a bit of talk about the Trans Lab late August also, but this is more of a road trip. Completing this will complete my Canadian Provinces and Territories by vehicle.

I shared this with Terry a couple years back.... This was my Northern/Western trip in 2014;

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/northern-ontario-to-inuvik-solo-ride-on-now.129343/
VMUTS is on my list, just letting the dust settle with them and OF4WD first, which I think is now complete. Evan has done great work getting that system open to non green plate vehicles.

Your North West trip is an epic read, not sure I'd do that solo myself. LoL

Doesn't a JL fit 34's stock? And you put 34's on it? Probably would fit 37's now.

bzzr2

VMUTS is on my list, just letting the dust settle with them and OF4WD first, which I think is now complete. Evan has done great work getting that system open to non green plate vehicles.

Your North West trip is an epic read, not sure I'd do that solo myself. LoL

Doesn't a JL fit 34's stock? And you put 34's on it? Probably would fit 37's now.

I wasn't aware there was anything going with vmuts and of4wd. I had spoken with someone from vmuts a couple yrs back that told me as long as I picked up a trail permit I was good to go with my Jeep. I will keep an eye out for any action planned for the area this yr.

I could run 35’s and would have had I not already had the nearly new 34’s on hand. As for fitting 37’s a Rubicon front fender is needed. With 3 inch bumpstop extensions I am close under full flex disconnected. I also still seem to drive 50k a yr so the smaller tires make for a better overall setup :-(

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Evan worked with OF4WD & VMUTS to get it mapped and on the trail list, it's picked up quite a following since then.

What you say about the 37's makes sense, since the 2 guys we know with 37's on JL's are both Rubi's.

bzzr2

Evan worked with OF4WD & VMUTS to get it mapped and on the trail list, it's picked up quite a following since then.

What you say about the 37's makes sense, since the 2 guys we know with 37's on JL's are both Rubi's.
Evan brings good wherever he goes, great guy.

In a perfect world I would be running the Nitto Ridge Grappler 37x11.5r18's.

Hope to connect this summer!