Project 444

M

Morley

Let me start off by saying that this will be ongoing, but for now it has been mostly general repairs and a couple of upgrades
along the way while getting it ready for the road. Not that I think it will have any road manners whatsoever :glasses:

What I have done in the past month or so:

Replaced a broken rear coil
Rebuilt the drivers side body mount
Fabbed up a driver side floor pan
Fabbed up inner fender on drivers side
Cleaned/wirebrushed the entire floor and slapped on POR15
Wiring for...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Lookin good.

What year is the truck and what is the link arrangement on the front? If you don't have some sort of birfield upgrade, I'd question 38s with a locked front axle.

I'm glad to see another Toy on the trail. :smokin:

T

Ton_O_fun

Is this a QC truck? It looks very familiar to one I saw on the Quebec4x4 forum...

Very nice project though!

Last edited:
M

Morley

Lookin good.

What year is the truck and what is the link arrangement on the front? If you don't have some sort of birfield upgrade, I'd question 38s with a locked front axle.

I'm glad to see another Toy on the trail. :smokin:

She's a 91, it's a triangulated custom 4link up front. In fact I am shopping around for price on the longfield chromoly's and hub gears right now.. Should be ordered up soon, while I'm all up in there anyhow.

Looks like alot of birf's have grenaded inside the housing on both ends already, based on the chunks carved out inside...

Is this a QC truck? It looks very familiar to one I saw on the Quebec4x4 forum...

Very nice project though!

Thanks, yep quite possible as I picked it up on the Quebec side.

M

Morley

Some Goodies have arived...

And after I'm done installing them, I can kick back and watch this:

Jimbog

Club Member
Sweet!!!!! what time is the movie playing? (the axles are kool too lol)

M

Morley

Didn't get much done yesterday, my wife called because the car died in the parking garage downtown where she works.. So I had to go and recover.

So as a result, I'm changing the altenator on the camry this morning.. Another delay.. lol

But I did start putting the knuckles back together last night and accidently (My dumb ass) crushed one of the knuckle bearings when I was tightening the lower cap... :banghead:

Not sure if Napa or auto parts extra stocks these trunion bearings, but I'll be on the hunt for one today...

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Try General Bearing there isn't much they don't have. They will need the stamped part # off the bearing to cross-reference.

M

Morley

Try General Bearing there isn't much they don't have. They will need the stamped part # off the bearing to cross-reference.

Yeah they're closed today :(
I'll have to wait till monday for that...
Thanks though ;)

M

Morley

Finally got the front end back together, and I had to re-use the old stock bifield/axle on passenger side because the splines were messed up on the longfield :banghead: 10hrs of wrestling this SOB on that got me nowhere...
Gettign a new one from Bobby.

Ended up slapping on new calipers, rotors, pads and installed the hi-steer.

I want to tame the steering a little, because its all over the road.. I fabbed up a "temporary" bracket late last night for the steering stabilizer, it helped a little...
When rolling down the road the tires want to shift me everywhere.. It's difficult to have any control.

I ordered up another steering stabilizer to try and calm it down some more.
I know I need an alignment, but anyone have any other ideas?
Maybe the steering box needs adjustment?

Biggest meats I've run before this rig are 35's. and now I'm on 38.5's and 16" wide :eek: Maybe thats just the way it is... Going with a more narrow tire, do you think would help dramatically?

couple more pics...

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
You say you need an alignment but what did you set your toe-in at? I usually go about 1/8". The easiest way is to bolt up a set of bare rims to the front so you have a nice surface to measure from. Makes a big difference...

Also, it is hard to tell from your pics, but what is your caster angle? Should be about 4 - 6 Deg. Depending on if the guy who built the truck did it right.

M

Morley

Thanks...

The tire pressure is all at 21psi, so they are even...
But my toe is slightly off.. one side was in a bit and the other was out a bit.

I am going to cut the tie rod bar to shorten in about half inch so I can toe in slightly.. Right now its too long... But Im only going by eye, since I don't have a toe'a'meter and camberometer... lol

I'll try to get a couple pics of camber after

M

Morley

Point the wheels straight and measure from center of tire to center of tire on the front side and backside and the differnace should be around 1/4" toed in on the front. You don't have any adjustment in the tie rod?

:confused:

No there was only about 1/2 a turn... I've cut it down and now have been able to toe in ever so slightly, but my road test still proved to suck ass...

Slopyness.com

The steering wheel feels loose and the truck still wanders...

Here's some camber shots..

From center tire to center tire (back of tire) =62.5"
From center tire to center tire (front of tire) = 61"

Looks like now I'm too much toe in...

M

Morley

It on the axle at one end and on the Tie Rod at the other end...

I found a big problem... my knuckle would move up and down about 1/2 inch..
I had too many shims, so I removed 3 of them and now its tighter and feels much much better on the road... But can still use some taming...

I have my wheels perfect at 62.5" front and back now..
One more adjustment to get them right... Not sure if I'll tackle that tonight or tomorow morning... Pretty cold and exhausted now..

thanks alot for all your help guys!!

D

Dirk

With that much toe-in, I am surprised you're not shredding your front tires.
Adjusting toe-in is always a good time to get your wife involved in your projects to hold the end of the tape. :lmao:

M

Morley

If I drag my wife into this one more time, I may have a permanent residence within the walls of my garage... :D

Ok, I need help... Bigtime..

My truck just passed E-Test, but my mechanic did not want to pass safety because of all the welding and modifications to the truck...

He did not give a specific reason (aside from the rear coils are actually 2 sets clamped together. He just said that its just too modified and he didnt want to give it a tag :(

I wont be able to trailer this puppy everywhere.. My mental image of awsome summer wheeling, has been shattered :(

Does anyone have a resource that can help me out?