Project - Bluebird Bus RV Conversion

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
A trip to Kent's this morning and I am the proud new owner of a 1998 - 78 Passenger, 5.9 Cummins, Allison Trans, Flat nosed BlueBird bus:

Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
The inspiration:

http://www.skewly.com/

I drew up a quick floor plan:

I have 33' of floor space behind the dog house to work with. 7.5' wide.

I want a small garage in the back for tools/welder/etc. That is also where I will house the water tank, propane tanks, hot water heater and generator.
I then want a separate area for colleen and I to sleep, then a full sized shower, then a bunk house for the kids, then kitchen/dinette/couch area in the front.

So far the plan is to take everything out of my C-Class and transfer it over, unless somebody want to offer me 3K for my C-Class, then I will start looking for a wrecked trailer to part out.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
you can add 18" to the workshop or kitchen by turning the queen 90 degrees, then put storage at the head or foot of the bed. The biggest complaint that Karen also had, was not being able to sit in front of the window . This was also a comment from the previous owner and he was building his third bus with that in mind. It doesn't look like you can relocate the front door on a flat nose so you may want to concider a bench seat behind the driver for the family. I never liked having Karen just sitting in the back without a seat belt. Just food for thought.

Yah, my dinette in the C-Class has seat belts (4) so that will be re-located and I was going to also use the captain's chairs from the front of the C-Class as well making a total of 6 seats with belts. I might even do what Dwayne's new camper is like in the front with a passenger seat by the stairwell and a sliding floor that comes out for the legs, covering the stairs making it a flat floor (his is air actuated) That way Colleen can sit in the front like a normal RV.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
New Floor Plan - Everything still fits with 33'

Last edited:

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
I keep changing the floor plan, this is where I am at now:

R

Root Moose

Just an idea...

How much weight are you planning on putting in he garage area? Does it make sense to move it between the wheelbase and stick the master in the tail of the body? You could make the garage shallower so there is a hallway of sorts separating the master from the rest of the interior plan, do something funky with wrap around windows on the back.

JAT

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Just an idea...

How much weight are you planning on putting in he garage area? Does it make sense to move it between the wheelbase and stick the master in the tail of the body? You could make the garage shallower so there is a hallway of sorts separating the master from the rest of the interior plan, do something funky with wrap around windows on the back.

JAT

There a couple reason's for the garage in the back:

- It eliminates any need for doing any sheet metal work in the back
- Garage has a separate door for access - no need to disturb the kids when accessing it
- Water tank, propane can go back there eliminating the need for hiding this stuff under furniture, etc and everything can just be run forward making the water/elec/propane run easy.
- Welding can be done out the back door
-Kids bikes, toys, BBQ, etc and be shoved in the back without disturbing the finished parts of the bus.

On a side note, the only regulation I can find on propane is that it is illegal to have them just hanging off the back, but what about venting regulations, etc for having them in the garage area? I will put the generator in an external box under the floor, accessible from the outside, rather than in the garage area so all that will be in the Garage is water tank, hot water heater, electrical panel and propane.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Some info on registering it as a RV:

You need to do FOUR of the following seven things:

Cooking facilities
a refrigerator or an ice box
a self-contained toilet
a heating or air conditioning system
an independent electrical power supply
an independent gas supply
a potable water supply system with faucet and sink.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
I believe portable propane containers can not be in use in a enclosed area as they are not certified for it. You want to watch for an car style one, they are so much bigger and not having to fill them all the time is quite nice.
In reality wrap around windows on a motorhome are cool looking but a pain to close in with curtains from the inside so you are up at the crack of dawn ( I know some people like that) and generally cold when you are sleeping in spring and fall. You can't see anything out of them anyway and that is why most don't bother. And yes you want the garage outside.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
I believe portable propane containers can not be in use in a enclosed area as they are not certified for it. You want to watch for an car style one, they are so much bigger and not having to fill them all the time is quite nice.

I have the big RV style one on the C-Class but I get sick of having to drive the RV to a place that has the Automotive style filler for it. I would rather have a couple 30lb tanks that I can just take out and fill when I need to. Last time I was at RC, I ran out of propane and it would have been nice to just jump in a truck and get a tank filled at the closest place or even just hook a 20 lb to for the rest of the weekend.

I was thinking of building them into an enclosure with an access door on the outside of the bus, technically making them outside but the enclosure with still be in the garage area. (The tanks would be too tall to have completely under the floor and normal BBQ tanks are not rated to work on their side)

B

Big-Hoe

There was a propane powered 3500 chevy at kenny's last time i was there. Looked like a pretty big tank. They can be re certified.

I have the tssa propane code in my truck if you need to know any rules.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xyvvbs

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
If you can make out this picture, it's the section of the code related to your question.

That's Perfect, Thanks!

The takeaway I get from that is "Vapor tight to the interior of the vehicle" so building an enclosure to the outside is the way to go then...