Project- Engine swap in a 95 Toy DLX.

J

Joust

I'm getting tired of my gutless 22re.

I found a nice 1uZ v8 that I believe mates up perfectly to a tranny off of a 3vz 3.0 v6 that comes standard in these trucks.
Does anyone have one an auto tranny/transfer case ?

Adrian, where is that 3.4?
I want to look into that as well.

considering SAS as well.

Last edited:

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Do you want std or auto?

I will get you George's # tonight.

:beer:

J

Joust

I think I'd rather have auto if I have the power to spare. with the 22re, there is no option :banghead:

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
I think I'd rather have auto if I have the power to spare. with the 22re, there is no option :banghead:

The guy who had the 4runner V6 # George - 613-267-7183

If you are willing to go Auto thought, I say go 5.3 or 6.0 Chevy and 700R4 tranny.

Hell of a lot cheaper and more power/cheaper to maintain.

J

Joust

where would I find one of those?
those sweet 5.3L deals don't seem to fall into my lap. just yours ;)

D

Dannyboy33

My neighbour has 2 4runners for sale. One has a good motor but ruff body and the other has a knock but a really good body. They look like the model Terry has he wants 1K for the both of them, but I think he would sell just one, I know he wants them out of there. I can ask him if you'd like me to.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
where would I find one of those?
those sweet 5.3L deals don't seem to fall into my lap. just yours ;)

You do like FarmBoy did and pick one up from a Auto Recyclers in the US. 5.3's are a fair bit cheaper that the 6.0. I believe he paid around $1100 for his 6.0.

The deal like I got seem hard to come by, but there is a guy on pirate4x4 right now selling a 5.3 for $600 US.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
My neighbour has 2 4runners for sale. One has a good motor but ruff body and the other has a knock but a really good body. They look like the model Terry has he wants 1K for the both of them, but I think he would sell just one, I know he wants them out of there. I can ask him if you'd like me to.

Hey,

He was looking for a V6 from a 96 and up 4runner. The 183 HP 3.4 I believe it is..

Speaking of which, if you are fine with a V6, the chevy 4.3 is cheap and plentiful. close to 200hp is the later years. Only problem is they always seem to sound like a tractor :flipoff:

J

Joust

I don't care what it sounds like. My 69 GTO sounds nice. the truck is to get my arse around and haul firewood.
how hard is it to rebuild the 700 tranny? there is a guy selling a truck with a 4.3 with low mileage and a tranny that needs a rebuild.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
I don't care what it sounds like. My 69 GTO sounds nice. the truck is to get my arse around and haul firewood.
how hard is it to rebuild the 700 tranny? there is a guy selling a truck with a 4.3 with low mileage and a tranny that needs a rebuild.

PM 4x4cruiser (Pierre) on here. He did my th350 in the buggy. Really good guy.

D

Dannyboy33

Ok I will walk across and ask him what years they are. I know they are V6's

J

Joust

Ok I will walk across and ask him what years they are. I know they are V6's

Thanks Dannyboy
unless they are relatively new runners they are the 3vz engine.
1988-1995 3.0L 3VZ
1995-2002 3.4L 5VZ
2002-2009 4.0L 1GR

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
You do like FarmBoy did and pick one up from a Auto Recyclers in the US. 5.3's are a fair bit cheaper that the 6.0. I believe he paid around $1100 for his 6.0.

The deal like I got seem hard to come by, but there is a guy on pirate4x4 right now selling a 5.3 for $600 US.

Check out car-part.com that's where I found mine. Prices are all over the place, you need to watch it for a while to find a decent one. Valley Automotive in Pembroke has several 5.3s right now for $690. Advantage Adrian had with his is it was complete minus starter. Most wreckers strip the accessories and also cut the harness apart. I got a bit lucky with mine that the harness is complete and I have the alt and ps pump but no computer or starter but are easy enough to get.

Bigger bonus to me is that while I was looking for an LQ4 (310 hp) mine's actually the 350 hp LQ9 with 50k on it. :glasses:

They had no idea (still don't :D) that they could have charged $2500 + for it.

D

Dannyboy33

I talked to my neighbour and they are the 3.0L not the one you are looking for .

Dan

J

Joust

Check out car-part.com that's where I found mine. Prices are all over the place, you need to watch it for a while to find a decent one. Valley Automotive in Pembroke has several 5.3s right now for $690. Advantage Adrian had with his is it was complete minus starter. Most wreckers strip the accessories and also cut the harness apart. I got a bit lucky with mine that the harness is complete and I have the alt and ps pump but no computer or starter but are easy enough to get.

Bigger bonus to me is that while I was looking for an LQ4 (310 hp) mine's actually the 350 hp LQ9 with 50k on it. :glasses:

They had no idea (still don't :D) that they could have charged $2500 + for it.

thanks
I sent them an email.
I think if i'm going through the trouble of a full swap, I want something more interesting than an old 4.3v6. the 5.3 fits that.