PROJECT - Is it a Sami, or a SJ?

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
My new build has begun. What we thought was a half assed sane starting point is turning out to be a large headache to small nightmare.

This is her as she sat in the shop when rolled off the trailer

This is her late last night

Scott realizing there is a hole in the side of the motor...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

R

Root Moose

Looking good Terry! I really miss my LWB some days. The CJ8 didn't do it for me.

szabotage

how bout dual t'cases, terry? you have the wheelbase for it and I have a couple being welded next week if your interested. 13:1 low/low with the 6.5:1 :D

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
how bout dual t'cases, terry? you have the wheelbase for it and I have a couple being welded next week if your interested. 13:1 low/low with the 6.5:1 :D

Keeping it single case and simple for now, who knows what else the winter will bring though.

R

Root Moose

I may have a line on a 16V with low KMs (complete) and a 2wd Sidekick trans if interested...

R

Root Moose

Ok, I got a hold of Luc on IM...

The engine has 160,000. A little higher than I thought but... before the car was written off (rear hit) it was dyno'ed within the few weeks previous and it had 15% loss through the drivetrain. That pretty much means it is running as strong as from the factory. It's a tip top condition engine maintained by an anal Solo II mofo. LOL

He wants $500 firm including computer, harness, etc., etc. I think the rad is there too IIRC. It's all there; we pulled it at my garage. If he can't get what he wants for it he's going to sit on it for his locost project (Lotus 7 replica).

The engine is sitting upright on a engine dolly and has been wrapped in shipping cling wrap. It's been in my garage like this for a little over a year since it came out of the car.

I want $200 for the 5 speed trans (my discounted price for you - I paid $250 for it).

You can come take a look on the weekend if you are interested. I'll be around - nothing planned AFAIK.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
$500 is a good price but it's not in the needed part of the plan right now. If it's been sitting around that long it may just sit around a little longer, I'll have to check back once the cold weather hits. And I'm looking for an auto trans.

szabotage

I have a 3spd non feedback automatic tranny from a 4wd. let me know if your interested. looking at getting 200 for it.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
I have a 3spd non feedback automatic tranny from a 4wd. let me know if your interested. looking at getting 200 for it.

I have no room to store parts and I'm sure Scott doesn't want any more of my crap there. (1/2 my old 3 litre is still sitting there in parts till I get a house to store my own old crap). Catch up to me this winter when I am ready to move on to Phase II of this build. The current goal is to get the truck driveable and get my arse back out on the trail.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Not much done this weekend. Picked up a replacement motor, that's about it.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Old, fawked motor has been stripped of it's needed parts and is ready to come out. New motor is cleaned up and is ready to go in. Did I mention I am doing this work, and not Scott (busy on the Great Pumpkin!)? I think I'm doing quite well so far....for me!

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
With lots of help from Andy & Scott (comeon, you don't think I could have done this WHOLE thing myself, do you?), new springs are under her, the new motor is in and running, front clip is back on and bolted in place, lights are wired & working. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer. Next up, top er up with coolant and bring it up to temp, roll it away from the garage wall and strip the front axle, it needs a desperate rebuild. 1 week to go and this weekend is a write-off due to SOMEONE'S wedding! I may make BFG afterall.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Well, obviously I didn't make BFG with it!

BUT, it's now driveable, front end rebuilt, all fluids changed, all cleaned up and ready to beat on. Yah yah, no pics, battery died. It's not streetable yet though, something about giant holes in the floors tells me it won't pass safety!