RC Crawler

junkpile

Hi guys, not sure if anyone's into this but I'm looking at getting an RC crawler for my (almost) 4yr old son. I figured they'd be tough enough to put up with abuse and geared low/slow enough for him to learn on. Any thoughts? Recommendations? Selling?
Cheers

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
I do have a few at home, just not to sell for a 4 year old. My recommendations are:
The Vaterra Slickrock is small, durable and fun. The price is a bit high but it does include everything you need. If looking for used also look for it's direct predecessor the Losi Mini Rock Crawler (Vaterra is owned by Losi and took over this model).
http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=VTR01013

If you want a little bigger 1/10th scale is the norm. The Axial AX10 used to be the one to get and was very popular and well supported, but I guess they stopped producing it. Most vendors are going for scale now but it's more expensive, but if you're will to pay the Axial SCX10 chassis is again very popular and well supported, especially if you want to have fun upgrading it.

An important consideration is local store support as it will break, and if you want to be able to get it up and running again quickly you'll need a store with parts. Scope out Dynamic Hobbies, Great Hobbies, or Discount Hobbies and see what they have.

junkpile

Thanks for info! I actually checked out reviews of the slickrock yesterday afternoon and bought a gently used one off kijiji last night! It's pretty awesome for its size, and I think the speed and size is perfect for him. It's ridiculously capable, waaaaaay better than the Clod Buster and Black Foot I had when I was a kid

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Glad to hear. I sold my Clod a few years back to a member here just cause it was a Chevy. Not a crawler but a fun truck. If you want an old Blackfoot again for kicks you can have my brother in law's, condition unknown and in Peterborough at the moment, but free to anyone.