Rebuilding a 78-79 Ford D60, looking for advise

O.D.

Club Member
Over the weekend i started playing around more with the front end, testing clearance, etc... I had the wheels turned full right / left a few times. The following day, on each end they were leaking oil a fair amount. (Is this normal or have I actually overfilled the diff?)

I threw one side up on jacks and there's allot of play. Started pulling apart one side and the components are badly pitted. So, considering i am not going to have the TJ up and running this year, i figured i'd rebuild...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Had good luck with this place for D60 stuff:

https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/categories/Dana-60/

I think I just got my spindle nut tool from Keith at NAPA. You can borrow it if you like.

Solid drive flanges would be a bad thing on a street driven rig IMHO.

My seals leak as well, since I changed to the Yukon axles. It is pretty easy to nick the seal when you put the axles in.

Get the Poly needle bearing replacements for in the spindle while you are at it:

https://www.trail-gear.com/TG/Longf...on/i_0_0_4382/_301694-2-KIT.aspx#.VC7PkVeo3ao

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
I'm with Adrian - skip the slugs. The hubs will be a weak link, but worth it for a street driven vehicle. 35spl and Dynatrac locking hubs would be pimp, but $$$.

O.D.

Club Member
Thanks guys.. Also just stumbled upon

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]http://quad4x4.com/ as a good site for data/parts (Don't know on prices yet).

One thing i am struggling on though is the spindle nut tool. Visually, i see 8 slots. BUT all data to date refers me to either a 6 or 4 slot tool.

I cannot find the BOM (Probably sanded off) but am certain it's a '78-79 D60.

Adrian if you were closer for sure i'd be borrowing it :) Thanks for the offer though.
[/FONT]

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Crappy Tire as well as OFS sell the spindle nut tools as well. I'd just pick one up, see if it fits, and return it if not. Or hammer one off with a screwdriver to take it with you. I forget if it's the 14B or the D60 that has a few different variants.

O.D.

Club Member
I have a feeling that i have stage8 locking nuts. I gotta look at it a bit better this weekend... That might be where i am getting confused. It's bee so long since I bought these axles and this is the first time i tear one apart like this...

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
I remember when I went to NAPA to pick up a spindle nut tool and was faced with multiple variants - I was able to narrow it down and pick the right one. It seemed to be based on years and further based on whether it is an HD version. Your 78-79 axle should be easy to get a tool for as those years are pretty specific.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
I have a feeling that i have stage8 locking nuts. I gotta look at it a bit better this weekend... That might be where i am getting confused. It's bee so long since I bought these axles and this is the first time i tear one apart like this...

Stage8 may be different - I remember Dookey's build on Pirate ran into a snag with the 14B hubs on his axles as the Stage8's were different from most. Not saying it's necessarily the case with the D60, but just food for thought.

O.D.

Club Member
Definitely stage8. Standard 4 tab socket works. I just picked one up at Cdn Tire. Fits.

BTW, for anyone buying some specific tools, all Cdn tire stores are clearing out their Powerbuilt line of automotive tools. I just picked up my spindle socket for $13.00!!!! Regularly like $47.00. Also got a seal install kit and some other odds and ends for like 75% off or more....

Now i just have to figure out how the stage8 all goes together!

O.D.

Club Member
So, i got one of my sides apart (Well, up to the knuckle:)

I am less than impressed with the condition of the internals. The spindle is badly pitted. Most of the pieces are also all pitted. I would have thought that with everything packed with grease, this would not have occurred? Who knows. This could be from another time (Although even the stage8 parts are pitted).....

I will take some pics of the parts tomorrow and post for comments..

Do i start replacing the parts? It appears as though some of the areas that the bearings are supposed to spin on the spindle are also pitted, which i would suspect would have an effect on performance..

On a side note, i should have known, but now that i have looked into this further, i have to pull the carrier to replace the axle seal......

Fakk.... And here i was ready to possibly start it up in a week or so.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Definitely stage8. Standard 4 tab socket works. I just picked one up at Cdn Tire. Fits.

BTW, for anyone buying some specific tools, all Cdn tire stores are clearing out their Powerbuilt line of automotive tools. I just picked up my spindle socket for $13.00!!!! Regularly like $47.00. Also got a seal install kit and some other odds and ends for like 75% off or more....

Now i just have to figure out how the stage8 all goes together!
Thanks for the heads up. I may have to pop by the one by here and see what they have. Wonder why.
Good luck!

O.D.

Club Member
So, i am thinking i need this:

2x) Dana 60 Kingpin Rebuild kit (DS 706395-R)
2x) Dana 60 Lower Kingpin (DS 37299)
2x) Dana 60 Wheel Bearing / Seal kit
2x) Dana 60 Spindle Bearing / Seal kit (DS 700014)
2x) Dana 60 Longfield Spindle Bushings
2x) Dana 60 Mud slinger (DS 37308)
2x) Dana Spicer U-joint, greasable
2x) Inner axle Seals (NS 470682)

I will get some pics up this evening for comments on the pitting on the spindle. I should be able to re-use the Stage8. I picked up some very large Allen keys over the summer from PA. Am hoping one will be 7/8" for the kingpin :)

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
So, i am thinking i need this:

2x) Dana 60 Spindle Bearing / Seal kit (DS 700014)
2x) Dana 60 Longfield Spindle Bushings

Kit just for the seals, correct? As the Longfield poly bushings will replace the bearing.

O.D.

Club Member
So, here's the pitting on the spindle that i have removed so far...

What do the experts suggest??

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Trailered rig, run them until I found a cheap set of spindles. Yours, not so much.

My 2 cents.

O.D.

Club Member
Faaaaakkkk... At this rate I would have almost been better off buying crate axles :(