Recommendations on Welding stuff

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Got approval from my Financial controller that I can get a welder. I am planning on putting in a proper plug in the garage so I do have the option of 20A 115V or 230V 30A(is that right?). Couple questions:

Where to buy? Canadian Tire, Home Depot and Princess Auto carry Lincolns but sounds like they are somewhat inferiour. The drive wheel is plastic instead of metal which the more expensive ones have and I think both are tapped voltages rather than continuous. Should I go elsewhere? Where...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

D

DoctorPhate

Got approval from my Financial controller that I can get a welder. I am planning on putting in a proper plug in the garage so I do have the option of 20A 115V or 230V 30A(is that right?). Couple questions:

Where to buy? Canadian Tire, Home Depot and Princess Auto carry Lincolns but sounds like they are somewhat inferiour. The drive wheel is plastic instead of metal which the more expensive ones have and I think both are tapped voltages rather than continuous. Should I go elsewhere? Where else?

Obviously I need more than a welder so what else do I need? What is the typical startup costs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

NorthernTool.com is where im buying my welder. Once I recover from everything mechanical i own exploding in my face in the past couple weeks...

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Lincolns are actually very good welders for the price point especially when CTC puts them on sale. Scott built his XJ and YJ with a Lincoln with 230v including running it on full for all the heavy plate until it shuts down over and over and I don't think he has melted the wheel. Before I bought my Miller I used my Dad's 110v Lincoln to build my truck the first 2 years but used a stick welder for the big stuff (buy the 230v). Just a side note: Lincoln has never laid off people in a recession or due to any economic downturn in the ? not sure how many years they have been operating.
Alright my opinion is that unless you are running a shop Lincoln's are a good value. They are the Chevy of the welding world. But that being said I have never used a big Lincoln the level of my Miller which can be set to full automatic or has gradients for setting wire speed and temperature whereas the CTC Lincoln is just 4 heat settings and 4 (I think) speed settings as do the others in that price range (Hobart etc). But my Miller is the Cadillac, it makes a bad welder good, a good welder amazing and an amazing welder not have to work at all. My local shop has the Miller 180 for $930 ++ when I checked a few weeks ago, that includes guages and hose.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Thanks for the responses. I figure I will go 75/25 gas, the question about that is how much is a typical small tank cost and how long does that work?

Dwayne, thanks for the post that is definitely what I am looking for info wise. So you are saying forgo on the 140 and go 180? The Lincoln 180 was on sale last week and I was figuring if I got a 140 when it went on sale (should any week now) if there was anything too thick I could beg/plead/bribe someone with bigger. For me it will probably used for body work and I was thinking of building some bumpers. I am a complete newb when it comes to welding so first thing would be a lot of practicing. I have seen some of the Lincoln "C" models which have the continuous going for about the same price as the Tapped ones but that is not including shipping and out of the US.

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Thanks Dirk, I am definitely going between Miller and Lincoln since pretty much they are the two big names. I don't know where in Ottawa you can get a good price on a Miller although CTC, HD and PA carry Lincoln's. What Dwayne said gives some credence to the models they carry. Also the big question is still between the 140 and 180 models.

Where else in Ottawa are good places that sells welders?

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
At my local welding shop they sell both blue and red - when i asked i was told that they are both excellent brands and do the same thing. He did say that many proffesional welders (like the oil patch) like the lincolns because it produces a finer arc, but i was told that only proffesionals welding all day long would notice the difference. He also advised against the CTC lincolns as they are more of a "hobbiest" welder and may not stand up to the abuse they sometimes see (but as already stated many guys here have built their rigs with them). I've used both a miller 212 (which was a REALLY nice welder but very expensive) and my 180 - i can do whatever i require to weld with that 180 and not worry about it, the 140 i'm not so sure. I bought my bottle for an initial buy in of about $150 and it costs my just over $60 to refill (that's the small bottle)

Baja

Like Dwayne said I have built both my jeeps with a CTC Lincon 180. I am very happy with it and I got it on Sale for under 600 bucks. It has done everything I have asked including welding continuosly on full (wow I cant spell) for about 6 hours doing my beadlocks. All that being said I have also welded with Dwaynes Miller and after getting used to it I would have to say it does a nicer job (eaiser to use).

The Lincon will do everything you need but if budget allows I would go with the miller. And Definatly a 180 over a 140.

my 0.02

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Thanks all, Definitely some points to ponder. Looking at the models that CT carries there isn't much of a difference (~100) in price between the 115 and 230 that it is worth spending the more money. I priced out putting a 115V 20A and 230V 30A circuit parts wise in and they are pretty much the same price (give or take a couple of bucks). I am leaning toward the 180 more and more just because I would rather have something and not need it than needing it and not having it. Haven't decided between Miller or Lincoln yet as I haven't seen any prices for Miller and I am not sure how much different in price they are. I would say though that I would definitely fall under the hobbiest category. Just need to price them all out.

So any recommendations for local places that sell Miller (or Lincoln) other than CT,HD and PA?

Last edited:

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Try all the local welding shops - they all had the same price when I called back in June for the 180 (Miller sale I think). Employee price is around $7-800 for the MM180 IIRC, so see if they can knock it down a bit (uncle works at a welding shop back in Thunder Bay).

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
What are "the local welding shops"? It isn't something I have normally frequented in my line of work and this is something new I am delving into :) Surprisingly Google has not been that helpful. Also this may not happen for a while. Right now I am putting in the lines (got the permit this afternoon) but I figure in a couple of months I should have the fundage for it.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Thanks Dirk. Air Liquide is pretty close to my place and Linde is across the highway from my work. May have to drop by both

O.D.

Club Member
I'll chime in and vote for the 140 :) I bought mine a few years ago and it has done everything i need it to do. One of the main reasons i did this is for portability. As i have allot of other family members without a welder whom i have helped out over the past few years, this was a key benefit. Most don't have 230v in their garage. This is a non-issue with the 140. Everything on my TJ, i was able to do with the 140 without issue

D

Dirk

Extension cord to the clothes drier plug. Everyone has one of those.
PA is the cheapest for 230V extension cords.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Within the next week I am putting in both a 230V/30A and 115V/20A plug at the front of the garage. The Breaker box is literally on the other side of the garage wall in the basement so it will be easy-peasy to put in.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I have to say I just got off the phone with Air Liquide and their Customer Service is top notch. The guy I talked to was a huge help and answered my questions in a great way. Their price for both the Lincoln 180c and the Miller 180 is about the same.

szabotage

I've owned both lincoln and miller and hands down prefer the lincoln. easier to find parts since they're sold at princess and crappy. at least for their entry level 220V models. if your interested in going with gas, I have a BOC hobby tank I don't need for sale,150 bucks. will cost your close to 300 if you set up an account.