Skid plates

Raven

Club Member
After my first trail run last sunday, I realized I would need a bit more protection underneath to feel confident enough on the trail.

My rock sliders (Outaouais' own Finish Line Motorsports) really helped, but the rest is still stock (factory skids).

What skids should I get first? What brands should I look for? I'm running on a tight budget, but I'm willing to do the necessary.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Thing with Jeep is you get what you pay for but ultimately I think you need to decide what you want to really do with it, if basic trail riding you may not need to armour up that much or need things like stingers etc. I would say wheel it like it is for a bit until you decide where you want to go and how far you want to go there. Also refrain from doing cheap upgrades with the plan on doing more later, it ends up costing you more money. Make a plan and stick to it.

Ideally you want to go light on armour as it keeps weight down which benefits in gas mileage and centre of gravity and a lot of companies are now doing aluminum, however they cost more. There is a plethora of companies out there making stuff for Jeeps but most are in the US so you have to deal with our crappy dollar.

Raven

Club Member
Thanks 2Greys. I still think I will need more protection underneath, since I run 265/70/R17s and I enjoy trying harder obstacles. But what I need to figure out is what parts should I protect first... Obviously, the Evap canister and the oil pan, but then again, for the oil pan, I must choose between bolted to the pan itself or to the frame... of course, the frame seems a better choice, but do I really need to go that way...

And I like the idea of wheeling my Jeep a bit more to get more perspective, but I don't want to wait 'til it's too late! I'll probably try ti find what is really at risk underneath a two-door JK, and start from there.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I have an oil pan skid for my TJ that bolts to the engine. Never had an issue. I could see if doing sone serious (and I mean serious) crawling or more likely higher speed where you would be better off isolating it from the engine but if just worried of potentially denting by a badly placed rock I would stick with something less. Not sure yet what the key parts to cover but I was shocked when I got my JKU how little is covered.
From what [MENTION=973]Al![/MENTION] Has had with his, I would say the evap canister is a prudent start

Last edited:

Raven

Club Member
Yes, he told me about it! As you said, I will wheel my Jeep a bit longer before I make my choice (or no choice at all), but there is a constant: everyone keeps saying evap and oil pan, and when you look underneath, it really makes sense, and both skids aren't too expensive.

BBranje

Hey I'm in almonte Ontario
Own flat broke offroad ottawa
You can check out my fb page. Haven't made any yet but I have buiilt aluminum bumpers for myself and others and could probably fab some skid plates for you. You can message me on here or text/ call my cell 6136393273

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

SpidermanGeek

Hey I'm in almonte Ontario
Own flat broke offroad ottawa
You can check out my fb page. Haven't made any yet but I have buiilt aluminum bumpers for myself and others and could probably fab some skid plates for you. You can message me on here or text/ call my cell 6136393273

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Saw your FB page last week. Nice work. Your 4Runner work is what brought me there. I've noted the page and your number. All my skids have rotted and are useless now, plus I gotta look into possible frame rot starting between the gas tank/frame. Might look you up eventually.

:)