Spare tire, full size or not???

Dr.Phil

Hi guys, i'm wondering how many of you carry full size spare (40"+) on a buggy? Is it worth it? Or just any spare tire is ok to get you back on the trailer?

I'm planning for spring Fever and i dont have à full size spare, but i can bring my truck spare.

Thanks
Phil

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Depends on how you feel about driving on the rim to get back out. None of the buggy guys run a spare that I'm aware of (maybe Marek for racing?).

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
no spare here. The reason I run Beadlocks and Bias-Ply's :) Those rules for having to have a spare should be revised. Like Kevin said, if you are willing to drive out on your rim in a worst case scenario, then your good to go!

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Now whether or not you will be left behind to fend off the wolves is another question... :flipoff:

bradleyfitz

Club Member
I have a spare 47", but I always leave it at camp.

One year my 44" bogger got a big sidewall slice at RC that wasn't trail repairable ... I ended up having to pull the tire off, leave the buggy, and go get it repaired so I could drive out. Definitely killed my day. If you have a spare, at least bring it with you to camp.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
i don't carry a spare, however - i am going to get one this year but leave it on the trailer or back at camp.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Lol, and they'll let me in without one??
A have beadlocks and bias.
Those rules are fairly loose. We just don't want a guy on bald 31's that look like they just came out of a junkyard running without a spare. Bias ply 40's, not worried about it. LoL

badcompany

Club Member
Spare or no spare, every year I attend the spring fling there is no doubt in my mind that if anything were to happen to me or the runner there would be a helping hand. In times past I've seen guys bringing parts back they have found and welding each other's rig's and even helping to repair trail damage late into the night so the wheeling can go on for everyone.

This is the best event by far of all the events throughout the year. And I can't wait

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Spare or no spare, every year I attend the spring fling there is no doubt in my mind that if anything were to happen to me or the runner there would be a helping hand. In times past I've seen guys bringing parts back they have found and welding each other's rig's and even helping to repair trail damage late into the night so the wheeling can go on for everyone.

This is the best event by far of all the events throughout the year. And I can't wait

And part of that is running a "common" size or bolt pattern. I'd be confident in finding something in a 6x5.5 (Toyota), 5x4.5 (Jeep YJ/TJ) or 5x5 (JK) bolt pattern pretty quickly in terms of a spare from someone, especially in a 33 or 35. A 47 (or at some point a 54) on a Rockwell pattern, well, there is a reason Brad has a spare at the truck. Same if you were planning on the oddball Ford SD metric 8 bolt pattern - not as common if you were looking for a loaner to get out.