Stainless Muffler and shocks

berger

I got some Pinz specific parts delivered today. A shop in California now makes a 304 stainless muffler to replace the stocker. I decided to paint it with high heat black paint. The old one was so bad, on the way home from NA on Saturday, the truck backfired so loud in front of JTF headquarters, I thought I was done for!! :D

Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

berger

I was wondering about that. When exposed, won't dirt and water enter the shock itself? I know they'd are sealed, but eventually?

Sent from my Mobile

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
The problem is that if dirt does get in there because the boot extended to far then it can't get back out. People are correct in saying that is a problem especially when they drive in deep mud. I don't run them on my off road stuff but I do run them on my Excursion as theoretically it will never get flexed out enough or be in enough mud to let dirt in there.

junkpile

There are small holes in the ends of the boots so they can breath while oscillating, these holes let muddy water in trapping dirt that eventually damages the shaft and seal. Without the boots you run the possibility of stone chips/dings doing the same.......

berger

There are small holes in the ends of the boots so they can breath while oscillating, these holes let muddy water in trapping dirt that eventually damages the shaft and seal. Without the boots you run the possibility of stone chips/dings doing the same.......

This is why the Pinz guys told me to keep them on. Maybe it is the shocks themselves, but the rusting and pitting on the shafts can also damage the seals.....I am sooo confused! :D

Since I am under the truck frequently, I may just inspect them for now and remove them if I notice build up.

I appreciate the advise guys!

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Except the boots will never stop water and dirt. Maybe the first 50k but water as you know will end up getting in. With the boots on it is less likely (or a lot slower) to get out once it does.