Super joint amd driveshaft questions

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
So I need to replace the front axle u-joints. The spicers only lasted a little over a year.

So I'm looking at the Longfield super joints or the Yukon super Joints.

Both are the same price at approx, $200 a piece from what I can find.

So far it looks like longfield has updated it's design to last better with mild street use, not that I drive my jeep on the street very much anymore.
Yukon states there's are for offroad use only.

So what has everyone heard? Where's the best place to order...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Add me to the list for ECGS supporters. Most of the stuff for my 8.8 swap I got through them. Their support and quick response and shipping was amazing compared to other companies I won't name.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
This will be my 4th season on yukon super joints and i have had zero problems and i haven't been nice to them, either joint will be the same so it comes down to getting a good deal. if you have the money though CTMs are arguably the best joint, but they are expensive.

O

ottawadriveshaft

So I need to replace the front axle u-joints. The spicers only lasted a little over a year.

So I'm looking at the Longfield super joints or the Yukon super Joints.

Both are the same price at approx, $200 a piece from what I can find.

So far it looks like longfield has updated it's design to last better with mild street use, not that I drive my jeep on the street very much anymore.
Yukon states there's are for offroad use only.

So what has everyone heard? Where's the best place to order from?

Any other options out there?

Also of all the guys who have used Ottawa driveshaft, does he stock the thick wall tubing needed for a retube or do you supply the tube?

I need to retube my rear and was thinking 1/8" 0r 0.120 wall DOM.

:beer:

Hey, We can for sure retube your driveshaft. I have alot of tubing in stock at whatever thickness you want. For u-joints the strongest one we sell are the yukon joints, and we have neapco and spicer. My name is Shawn and i am the rep for ottawa d/shaft. Looking to some wheeling this summer. See you guys soon.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member

chunkytrunks

Club Member
Ok awesome info. Thanks everyone.

Its too bad about the longfield joints. Ive only ever heard good things about them.

Danny
How do they holds up to the odd on road trip. Sometimes I will drive to the trail and such but it is not my daily driver?

Thanks Shawn.
I will be in touch soon.
I will also be getting the cv rebuilt on my front shaft.

Cheers. Matt

Last edited:

DannyL

Danny
How do they holds up to the odd on road trip. Sometimes I will drive to the trail and such but it is not my daily driver?

We have a Dana 44 on our TJ with Warn hub conversion and Super Joints. I have to say were not the best at unlocking the hubs when we hit the road.
We regularly grease them with YG special blended copper bla bla bla something grease and they are still perfect.
I think if it was a TON of city driving where a lot of corners involved it would be a bigger issue.
YG is just being on the safe side to prevent people form thinking those joints can be run on a DD without a problem.....

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
We have a Dana 44 on our TJ with Warn hub conversion and Super Joints. I have to say were not the best at unlocking the hubs when we hit the road.
We regularly grease them with YG special blended copper bla bla bla something grease and they are still perfect.
I think if it was a TON of city driving where a lot of corners involved it would be a bigger issue.
YG is just being on the safe side to prevent people form thinking those joints can be run on a DD without a problem.....

You have to remember that folks run them in KOH (130+ miles this year), which is likely longer and harder than your street driving. Maybe faster as well. Same for the Ultimate Adventure that 4WOR puts on - 1000+ miles in a week. Regular maintenance and it should be a non-issue.

chunkytrunks

Club Member
You have to remember that folks run them in KOH (130+ miles this year), which is likely longer and harder than your street driving. Maybe faster as well. Same for the Ultimate Adventure that 4WOR puts on - 1000+ miles in a week. Regular maintenance and it should be a non-issue.

Good point! Thanks Danny and Kevin. I'll be looking into this soon.

chunkytrunks

Club Member
So Dropped the driveshafts off to Ottawa Driveshaft!
Im most likely going to go with the the Spicer joints again as i have a feeling the north augusta mud may have had something to do with the wear on the spicers.

Now one more question mostly directed at Chris (2greys)

Your sweet Savvy gas tank skid.
Where was the cheapest place to get it and how do you like it?

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Love it and got it straight from Savvy. They do ship to Canada now and at that time I didn't have anything I needed to make it worth to go to Ogdensburg.
I dropped on it I think at WAC and not even a scratch. The thing that made me want it was that it made use of the benefit of the Body Lift to get it raised up. Comes with all new mounting hardware as well which was nice.
Also there is a 10% off code I need to find if you are a member of Jeepforum (I think it is JF2015 but I might be wrong)

I need to talk to Ottawa DS about my rear driveshaft. Tempted to just replace it with a brand new one that is flanges on both ends.

Last edited:

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
Ottawa driveshaft is the way to go! We deal with them a lot at work, and they are always great to deal with!