Things to know before buying 2007 or 2008 wrangler sport

N

nighowl2000

before I was able to afford my 2014 JKU, I looked at the older wranglers with the 3.8. If you are going to get one, get a manual and stay away from the 4 speed automatic as they have no transmission cooler and can/will burn out. another thing to look out for is the early 2007-2008 manuals had a habit of popping out of gear, so take it for a good test drive and test each gear. The 3.8 also can drink alot of oil. Something to do with the piston O rings being put on backwards if I remember correctly so check the oil levels!

imthegreat2004

but what about years from 2009 till 2011 they have same engine also. have jeep fixed the burning oil and transmission issues? And after reading different forums i've found that by putting 10w30 or thicker oil and pcv valve can fix the issue. I don't know if you guys have experience with that.

N

nighowl2000

the 2011 have the upgraded interior (same as the 2012-2015's) and yes they have the same 3.8L engine. The 2009-2011 are the better years. Just stay away from the auto's

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
but what about years from 2009 till 2011 they have same engine also. have jeep fixed the burning oil and transmission issues? And after reading different forums i've found that by putting 10w30 or thicker oil and pcv valve can fix the issue. I don't know if you guys have experience with that.

We tried that and they still all needed engine's :/

just_in

My 08 doesn't drink oil. The automatic are a piss poor in all years of the jk. The ones behind the the 3.6 just have slightly better gearing.

If your going to swap out the motor ls all the way.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
If your going to swap out the motor ls all the way.

As a guy putting an LQ4 in a CJ, I'll say that the "LS everything" theme is getting old. Hard to beat the power to weight combo, I know, and relatively easy to do, but still, way too common. A hemi would be right at home, or if you want non-Mopar, try a Coyote first.

Just my 2 pennies.

just_in

Overheating has been an issue with the hemi swaps in Jk's. Might be better up here with the cooler summer's. For the jk you only have the l series swap and the hemi.

Personally I rather a small vw diesel

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk