TJ Rubicon rebuild.

M

MadMax

Well the 2003 is a great platform to start w and a lot of the work has been done to make this rig a real treat to drive offroad!
But after a number of years hard wheeling it needed a little tweaking.

Starting with the 4 link suspension which was using the wishbone style upper links.
Now:

The axle tubes got a much...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

junkpile

Would you give up a little insight on your rear suspension, would you consider this a flexier setup or are you just replacing the old worn out setup with something different. Anything happening up front?

M

MadMax

A lot more flexible in the rear compared to the old set up and beefier as the joints that were in there were heim joints and the mounts were not straight. This set up is straight and I'm using 2" Johnny joints!

Front I'm doing the same beefing up the joints w the 2" Johnny's and making the upper link fully adjustable so I can set the caster...
I'm retaining the springs and swapping out the shocks for Fox 2.0 performance....so I can rebuild them in the future if needed.

I was able to reuse the rear truss with slight modifications to it in order to get the massive joints in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

MadMax

This set up is big time over kill but rather that than break down middle of the trail! Besides I'm planing a trip to Utah either this year or next so I want the over kill! Next plan is truss the front Dana 44 and slide in some CV axle shafts.....the rear axle shafts are scored pretty bad from all the mud and dirt build up but at this point in the project I'm already way over budget:))

M

MadMax

Hahaha yes it is:) I'd like to get a run in when it's done to test it out:)

M

MadMax

Front control arms sand blasted painted and new Johnny joints. New brackets to fit the bigger joints and also to straighten out the arm so there's less stress on the new joints:
Old,

New,

Function > Form

Club Member
Did you replace the XJ, or is this one only for wheeling?

I think I have the same wishbone upper on my lib - I've seen some hardcore liberties with a 4-link replacement. Mine is not that hardcore though lol ;)

M

MadMax

Replaced the XJ and this will be primarily for wheeling:)

M

MadMax

Would have cost me more to get what this already has!

M

MadMax

Yup all TMR about $75 a joint X 15

M

MadMax

I love this rig in fact when it's done I'll be quite hesitant to thrash it on the trails hahaha

M

MadMax

Bumpers and springs back from paint shop

Press in Johnny joint for front axle it's pretty awesome

Just need to finish up the passenger side control arm instal new shocks and get it back on its wheels!