Trailer Specific Q&A

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
So I'm opening up a TRAILER SPECIFIC Q&A to help those out there new to hauling.

I do not want to include any discussion on the relevant laws, safety stickers, CVOR etc as there have been many threads on the subject on various forums (including this one) but rather keep to the practical aspect & common sense of hauling.

For those that don't know me, I've been hauling trailers for 20 some years, everything from the little one behind the ridding lawn mower to 25'& 20,000 lbs gooseneck on a...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

D

Dirk

For starters, make sure you have properly functioning brakes on the trailer. Personally, I wouldn't have a trailer that only had brakes on one axle -- you wouldn't drive your truck with only brakes on one axle, why would you rely on only one pair of brakes to stop the weight of your rig AND the trailer? As far as I'm concerned the trailer should have enough brakes to stop itself and not need help from the tow rig to stop. Also, surge brakes are a bad idea as the only way that they work is by the trailer pushing the slowing tow rig to activate -- not much help if the tow rig can't stop.

X2 on the surge brakes. As they do not allow you to engage them separately. Which is very handy when your trailer starts wagging and pulling all over the place, or when its slippery, in these cases applyingthe trailer brakes only wil pull the whole rig straight, preventing jack knifing.

If in doubt, find a scale to weigh everything.

While this is not always an option when towing different things, you should deffinitely do it for your usual load, your offroad rig in this case. Scales are cheap, there is really no excuse for not doin this. Knowing what a given load weighs and feels like being towed, will give you a reference point to gauge what other loads may weigh or behave like.

Driving: Leave LOTS of room to stop, at least double what you normally would with your tow rig. Expect the dumbass with the little car to cut into the space you were trying to maintain in front of you. Make your turns WIDE, the trailer will "trail" to the inside of the turn and you don't want to hit anything.

IMHO this is the single most important piece of advice. Heed this warning. :)

Tongue weight: Make sure the tongue weight on the truck is right. Too much and you will have difficult steering. Too little and the trailer will push the truck around corners. If you have to, stop and adjust the vehicle on the trailer to balance the weight.

I believe 10 - 15% of the weight should be on the hitch, using a weight distribution setup will aloow higher %s. As a rule of thumb, if both tires on a tandem trailer are showing the same ammount of sidewall bulge, assuming similar tires, inflation pressure and alevel/even road surface, your load is well distributed.
In addition to what Jon mentioned, a trailer loaded to the rear too much will start wagging, and which is not desirable at all.

Thanks for starting this Thread Jon. :beer:

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Great list, you guys have already mentioned just about everything I would have.

Check the tire pressure on the trailer and the tow rig before leaving every day, and check tire surface temperature at every stop. I set my trailer tires to the capacity max. marked on the tires since I run my trailer at close to the max.

Repack hub bearings, check the brakes and general condition of the trailer every year. If you use it a lot they wear, if you don't they sit and rust. After the first hour of driving check that your hubs aren't hot (they should be warm) and didn't get loose.

Carry a trailer spare tire and make sure you have the right wrench.

R

Root Moose

I've got a question on weight distributing hitch arrangements.

The mannual for my XJ says that with a weight distributing hitch I can tow up to 5000 lbs.

I've addressed the brakes and I guess my XJ will be almost 4600 lbs by the time all the parts are bolted on. It's not got the best wheelbase for towing though.

Do you think I'm nuts for thinking I can safely tow a 4000lb trailer with this arrangement? The vehicle I want to tow weighs around 2700 lbs, lets say 1300 lbs for a trailer, 4000 lbs total. Dual axle, with brakes on both axles.

Opinions?

D

dent head

Any thought's on this - half ton with camper(1800lbs) and a trailer with a TJ on it? Pro's - con's ??

S

SWest

your ok

youll be fine....

I've got a question on weight distributing hitch arrangements.

The mannual for my XJ says that with a weight distributing hitch I can tow up to 5000 lbs.

I've addressed the brakes and I guess my XJ will be almost 4600 lbs by the time all the parts are bolted on. It's not got the best wheelbase for towing though.

Do you think I'm nuts for thinking I can safely tow a 4000lb trailer with this arrangement? The vehicle I want to tow weighs around 2700 lbs, lets say 1300 lbs for a trailer, 4000 lbs total. Dual axle, with brakes on both axles.

Opinions?

Last edited:

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Any thought's on this - half ton with camper(1800lbs) and a trailer with a TJ on it? Pro's - con's ??

All depends on the weight of the TJ and trailer and all other gear, passengers, fuel, etc... If your TJ is say 4,000 lbs, a good trailer is 1,800, that's already 7,600 lbs. What about camping gear? Food, Water, :beer::beer::beer:? Doesn't take long to get over the limit. My 1/2 ton has an 8,000 lbs towing capacity and with my Jeep, trailer, gear,... I couldn't put on a camper, need a 3/4 ton for that.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member

I use my Yukon for towing (1/2 ton) and it is on the edge, add a camper and I would think 3/4 ton is required.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm

Nope, too much weight. I've got a camper-cap on my F150 and pull a Toy and I feel overloaded as the rear of the truck saggs quite a bit.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
I recently picked up a weight distributing hitch for when i am pulling my XJ and think it's great and gives me piece of mind, i think they are a good investment.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Absolutley a good idea for sure. They do tend to hinder movement between truck & trailer on rough ground so occasionally you may have to remove the arms to get to some camping locations (NHTTI comes to mind) but the rare occasion of that is just that, rare.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
yeah for sure, the whole set up is fairly low to the ground - something i'll have to watch out for.