Trails to test AWD in new cars ( stock friendly )

B

bigaldover

Hey there Guys, I have a 2004 subaru forester that I use to go to cottage country and then this same forester is used off road to get me to the cottage. The grade is 20% gravel I have a manual transmission which means the AWD is 50/50 all the time and I am able to go up and down the hill ( very slowly )
Unfortunately my foz needs a new engine and some other work, which at this time I am thinking of getting a new SUV

Would anyone know a place where I could do such tests ? I would take my...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

trixter192

Club Member
Get smething bigger with a 4HI/LO transfer case, this will gear you down even more. And most automatics can be put in first gear, so don't write them all off.

Also, the Mazda is crap. I have no facts to back me up.

Edit: There's some steep hills around Trim and 10th Line in Orleans. Maybe some residential roads are even steeper. Gravel inclines would be hard to find in Ottawa.

Last edited:

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
I would recommend the Outlander but I am biased as I am a mitsu trained tech, actually highest trained in the city. They are bullet proof vehicles. Dont know much about the new 2014's but I am in Toronto training about them next week so if you have any questions I can find out the answers.

If you go that route go to Donnelly's and tell them Matt Hillier is your buddy.

As for trails I don't know of any dealer that will let you test drive a vehicle on a trail

Last edited:
B

bigaldover

Hi Trixter, Thanks for the reply, as much as it would be fun yo go that route, the amount of driving I do gas would bankrupt me. I have heard other people say the same about the Mazda, apparently they rust out quicker than most cars. Out of all the SUV they are definitely the sportiest, which would make for more fun on paved roads.

Cheers !
Allan

Get something bigger with a 4HI/LO transfer case, this will gear you down even more. And most automatics can be put in first gear, so don't write them all off.

Also, the Mazda is crap. I have no facts to back me up.

Edit: There's some steep hills around Trim and 10th Line in Orleans. Maybe some residential roads are even steeper. Gravel inclines would be hard to find in Ottawa.

B

bigaldover

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the kudo's on the Outlander, I am pretty sure that is the route I am going.
So I will explain the Subaru AWD quickly in the Manual transmission world, which uses a viscous coupling to split the torque 50/50, which works flawlessly, downside fuel economy. when going automatic transmission they uses an electronic symmetrical design, what does that mean ? I think the same as everyone else, slippage on the front transfer torque to rear and vice versa and this bothers me, cause the hill at the cottage is really steep and kind of rough. Slip means stuck. I had an outback have trouble, ended up tearing up the road to get up the hill. Outback has a different gear ratio and was an automatic.
Now with the outlander there are 4 modes for their AWD:
Normal -
ECO
SNOW
LOCK - explained the transfer case is locked at 50/50 with a max speed of 30 Km/h

If you could get me any technical information and validate the information I have, I would be greatly appreciated.
I will mention your name for sure. The 2014 seems to be a nicer version, Finance rate is attractive, and dollar for feature, comes out nice.

Thanks !!

Allan

I would recommend the Outlander but I am biased as I am a mitsu trained tech, actually highest trained in the city. They are bullet proof vehicles. Dont know much about the new 2014's but I am in Toronto training about them next week so if you have any questions I can find out the answers.

If you go that route go to Donnelly's and tell them Matt Hillier is your buddy.

As for trails I don't know of any dealer that will let you test drive a vehicle on a trail