Wave from Stittsville

dougiet

Hi I am Doug,
Just bought this shit box for offroading. 93 YJ rust-free tub, the frame is rust-free but not sure of the year. The rear frame rails are angled not arched and are rectangular boxed. Dana 35 and YJ 30 with vacuum lockup disconnected. The seller said the tranny is a TF999 with an NP231 transfer case. MC2100 2bbl carb on top of a 6cyl ??. The seller mounted a CJ grill
I have all block and head stamped and cast numbers but am getting lost on decoding.
(EDIT) NOT LOST ANYMORE...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Welcome!

Looks like a TJ grill, not a CJ? Also, what year does the VIN say? I'm guessing early 4.2, so late 80's?

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Welcome Doug! A rust free YJ tub is a rare thing, good find. I purchased an '89 in 1994 and sold it last year, though by then only the body and engine block were original: https://ovo.ca/delormer/
I think yours started out as an '87 to '90 model year and someone swapped a rusty body with the '93. I think this because only those years came with the 4.2L with carb, later years came with the fuel injected 4.0L. If the original body was that rusty then the frame probably was too, explaining the angled rear frame section as a repair. It looks like after that it was well taken care of so it should be a good base.
Lastly I, and almost everyone else who knows early Jeeps, would not recommend putting 35s on those axles, they can barely handle 33s. Axle shafts will snap and the housings will bend. Besides you can run most local trails on 33s, especially if you put in a rear locker.
If you want I can come over sometime and give it a good look over to find out potential problems and what has been replaced.

dougiet

Welcome Doug! A rust free YJ tub is a rare thing, good find. I purchased an '89 in 1994 and sold it last year, though by then only the body and engine block were original: https://ovo.ca/delormer/
I think yours started out as an '87 to '90 model year and someone swapped a rusty body with the '93. I think this because only those years came with the 4.2L with carb, later years came with the fuel injected 4.0L. If the original body was that rusty then the frame probably was too, explaining the angled rear frame section as a repair. It looks like after that it was well taken care of so it should be a good base.
Lastly I, and almost everyone else who knows early Jeeps, would not recommend putting 35s on those axles, they can barely handle 33s. Axle shafts will snap and the housings will bend. Besides you can run most local trails on 33s, especially if you put in a rear locker.
If you want I can come over sometime and give it a good look over to find out potential problems and what has been replaced.
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT RICHARD! 1987 TO 1990 DA21 C BLOCK 444 HEAD 3661 258 2BBL
THE DANA 30 IS BENT AND 33'S ARE ENOUGH FOR ME. THE FRAME HAS CLEAN WELDS.
THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST, YOU ARE WELCOME TO COME OVER.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Welcome and also greetings from Stittsville.

Agree with the other comments, grill is a TJ with 4" LED's installed because of the flat fenders (I did the same for my TJ). Looks like the same lights I used, which was a popular option way back when (TruckLite 4" LED).