Welder help

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
So I'm getting a bit frustrated, and looking for advice. Every time I use the welder, I'm having issues with the wire sticking to the tip and the feed jamming as a result. I've probably wasted a good 100' of wire clearing these jams, and it's often happening on the first attempt to weld.

What the hell am I doing wrong? Flux core, MIG, just welding sheet metal. I'll get it working great for 5 or so minutes every now and then, and bam - back to crap and jamming. I'm pretty much ready to...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
How old is the welder? I had what sounds like the same problem last year - after doing some research I discovered a common problem that can sometimes happen in that the wire was dragging inside the whip as it was getting worn out so I bought a new whip/gun and no problems since.

junkpile

Yep, you're grounding out pre-maturely. Either your contact cup is grounding out on the torch handle or your liner has worn out somewhere in your whip, easy fix either way. Whatcha weldin with anyway?

Mlorint

Check your spool for rust. Just light surface rust will cause lots of issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
If you start the arc with the tip to close to the piece it will do this as well. I assume you have the flux core end on the welder and not a gas shield end?

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
How old is the welder? I had what sounds like the same problem last year - after doing some research I discovered a common problem that can sometimes happen in that the wire was dragging inside the whip as it was getting worn out so I bought a new whip/gun and no problems since.

Brand new, straight from the box.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Yep, you're grounding out pre-maturely. Either your contact cup is grounding out on the torch handle or your liner has worn out somewhere in your whip, easy fix either way. Whatcha weldin with anyway?

Hobart Handler 210.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
If you start the arc with the tip to close to the piece it will do this as well. I assume you have the flux core end on the welder and not a gas shield end?

Close or far, doesn't seem to matter (thought that might be the case).

So, what does a flux core end look like? :homer:

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
If it is brand new then it should be the right one, little black plastic screw on end instead of the brass round end...

Does your tip match the wire size?

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Things I'm learning...and this is why I just grabbed the stick welder as a kid.

Nope, it's the brass nozzle, I'll see if it came with a flux one or not, and pick one up. Swapped the rollers to the right size, didn't look at the tip (was set up for .035, I'm running .030). I presume it will be stamped with the size? And are you referring to the tip that screws into the gun, or the nozzle that "shields" the tip?

junkpile

Oh sorry, for some reason I assumed it was an older welder that just started acting up on you.
I think Aweber has you on the right track.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Things I'm learning...and this is why I just grabbed the stick welder as a kid.

Nope, it's the brass nozzle, I'll see if it came with a flux one or not, and pick one up. Swapped the rollers to the right size, didn't look at the tip (was set up for .035, I'm running .030). I presume it will be stamped with the size? And are you referring to the tip that screws into the gun, or the nozzle that "shields" the tip?

Correct the tip will be stamped. One thing I learned is positioning of the whip. You want it as straight as you can get, too much of a bend anywhere and it can get stuck. Nothing worse than Andrew criticizing your whip (that's what she said) :)