What to do with this crusty sunfire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trixter192

Club Member
My brother has an 01 Sunfire, currently on the road, will not pass safety due to heavy corrosion. It was actually my first car. He's getting a replacement car soon. He has new winter tires on rims, and a second set of rims(no tires).

We called around, the going rate for scrap yards is $150-200.
With the new trailer we could remove all the plastic and bring it in for weight, any idea how much I would get? It weighs 3600lbs right now. We could sell the tires and rims for $250 alone. Does...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
It goes for a good cause, I believe they get the money for scrapping it but you get a tax receipt. Alternatively you can donate it to the Fire Dept. They use it for practice/training with the Jaws of Life.

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
You don't have to pull anything off when bringing it for scrap.

Either donate or bring to Cohen's.

The forklift guy is also usually nice enough to lift the car and let you pull off the wheels before they take it away if you bring it on the trailer.

junkpile

x2, don't spend anytime stripping the plastic or anything off it, that'll just make it lighter. Cohens, Bakers, AIM, they're all paying somewhere around $130-150ton (2200lbs) at the moment.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Yeah, I was thinking more like 2400. If it's got power windows, see if Andrew needs the regulator so he can get rid of the damn duct tape :flipoff:

Burger

Club Member
im always looking for derby cars depending on how much u decide you want for it . abit early for derby car season, but still interested

Function > Form

Club Member
sometimes people want scrappers on the Motosports Club of Ottawa for snowcross racing - usually easier to sell cars with winters and a stick tho http://www.mco.org/phpbb/

I got $240 for a stripped subaru outback with just spares on, no roadgoing wheels (3400#). It was picked up by a guy with a trailer so you could probably get something similar if you took it in. $150 sounds too low for a sunfire (2600? or 2900? sigh internets).

Status
Not open for further replies.