Wheel Width

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Since I've heard so many differing opinions in the last two weeks, I figure I'll post it up here and see what the board says:

I'm looking to run 33's on my truck (eventually), and am keeping my eyes out for a set of wheels. Since most 33's are 12.5 wide, how wide of a wheel should I be looking for? 7"? 8"? 10"?

Thanks,
K

G

Gadzooks

Depends on what you buy. It's true that most are 12.5's but you can get 10.5's or even 13.5's if thats what you want? I'd say 8 in rims with 33, 12.5 is most common. Some people really like 33's that are 10.5's and swear by the skinny tread, others like 12.5's because of the stance. 33 12.5's are wide tires, especially on 10 in rims. You'll be rubbing on full turn for sure, unless you inboard those springs. It all depends on what YOU want. You can fit 12.5's on an 8 inch rim if you want too, or 10.5's onto a stock 6 incher if thats all you've got. Personally I like the balance of having 12.5's on 10's so that my stance is a little wider in an attempt to keep my truck upright, this coming from a guy that had to tie a tow strap to the roof of his truck on more than one occasion to keep from flipping over!

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
You can fit 12.5 on a 8" rim no problem, in fact, a lot of people do it because the skinnier rim will make it harder to loose a bead on the trail. The advantage of a 10" rim is the extra track width like mentioned...

If you don't plan on going off the road a lot, and have to buy rims anyway or need the extra room to fit them then, go 10", if you already have 8" rims, then run them.

On my fj40, 8" rims actually made 33's fit perfect, if I went 10" I would have had to cut the rear fenders, with the 8", the tire tucks right up inside the wheel well at full articulation. Depends on the application.