Winch rope - synthetic vs steel

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
I'm in need of a winch line for the M8000 I picked up from Brad (thanks!). Based on our locale and typical usage, what would everyone recommend?

And yes, it will be entirely used to hold down a shelf :flipoff: for a while as I finish wiring over the next year or so based on my rate of progress.

trixter192

Club Member
My cheap synthetic line held up really well. If I had to buy another line, I would get a Ranger synthetic line from amazon. The fully jacketed one is actually cheaper than the normal one.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
My cheap synthetic line held up really well. If I had to buy another line, I would get a Ranger synthetic line from amazon. The fully jacketed one is actually cheaper than the normal one.

I'm looking at something similar in appearance, different name brand. The Ranger one seemed to have a few "it snapped first pull" comments, but I can't tell if people are using it incorrectly, or if they are even talking about the ATV version.

https://www.amazon.ca/Ranger-Durabl...er+winch+rope&qid=1568222525&s=gateway&sr=8-6

vs this one I'm looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079GTX23D/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?smid=A2QRRWZZ5QTWJX&psc=1

Any problems with abrasion or anything else in the time you've had it?

trixter192

Club Member
Real problems, no. I always always careful not to rub against anything. I have a 1ft sleeve, and occasionally uses a tree saver to protect it from abrasion. It's a bit worn, but would not hesitate to use it again. When I did actually wheel, I was "that guy with the good winch" and used it a lot.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Talk to Al he may have a unused synthetic he bought before he bought his truck, it is the same one I bought.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071GM9SH3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That said, I have my old steel one if you want to keep that shelf really down. No charge

Thanks for the offer - there's an M8000 (empty) and an M6000 (spool of steel), as well as a few small engines, rad, etc, so that shelf isn't going anywhere, and Jenn is already frustrated enough at my "hoarding".

Good to hear that they hold up well in our environment - thanks all! :beer:

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
I don't remember where I got mine, but it's nothing special, in the $150 range with a 3-4ft sleeve on it. It has survived a few nasty pulls down in Wooly's in TN through some nasty brush (pulling out a Cherokee on tons that slipped over an edge/small cliff), and many pulls around here. Mine has pulled across rock edges and scrub brush, and as people know, I don't take particularly good care of my crap, and that line is still good. So I wouldn't worry too much about name brand, as long as it has a reputable line pull rating/breaking strength.

junkpile

I run a synthetic rope I found on Amazon.ca made by “Ranger”, had good luck with it so far. Nice and light, and no more frayed wire punctured fingers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk